Bumpers - Muddy, this is not for you - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Bumpers - Muddy, this is not for you

Okay, so I'm planning on going up to 35's next time my tires wear out(some of you may already know this, but I work for the Department of Repetition Department so I thought I would say it again) and on my 4" lift, I'm pretty sure that the bumper is gonna be a problem. I know some of you have relocated (moved, not removed muddy [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), I just want to know how you did it, because from what I've seen of how my bumper mounts up to the frame, the bolts are perpendicular to the frame. So, did you guys drill new holes or am I missing something easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:23 PM

Re: Bumpers - Muddy, this is not for you

I thought that most spaced them out with washers. This way you are pushing away from the frame and not up or down.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:46 PM
kd5kuu

The flange that the bumper bracket bolts to is perpendicular to the frame rails, and the bolts are parallel. If you use longer bolts and something to space the bracket from the flange you can space your bumper out a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

lookinfurfun: I know that the older styles with the carrage bolts visible to the outside of the bumper could be done this way, but I was confused about the new styles. I THOUGHT that there was a sheath type structure welded to the back side of the bumper that slipped over the frame rails and the bolts came in to hold those 2 together, BUT I guess I was looking at it wrong.

Thanks for the clear-up! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

you can use washers but I cut a couple narrow pieces of 2x6 off and used them to space it out. it's cheaper and when you crank down on the bolts with lumber in between, that bumper is not going to shift around on you at all. 2" is the nominal size, it's actually only 1 5/8" thick, and it seems perfect for me. You might be able to get away with less spacing, but I like the way it looks spaced out far like mine. And by the way, I happen to have BOTH bumpers attached and I even have the top back on now, so this baby is complete, no assembly required [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:29 PM

You with bumpers? damm, i need to make a new title!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 11:16 PM

You know when you give something and then take it back they call you an indian giver, well he has indian bumpers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 03:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

nah, i don't get a new title till i build some real bumpers to put on this thing! these factory ones are decoration only, and i'll probably rip them both off soon when i run into something again [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode