Time to Rebuild?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Time to Rebuild??

So I posted awhile back and I had some engine power issues. My '92 351EFI loses power between about 1700-2000 RPMs. Now I had a bunch of stuff done to it and Im wondering if its just time to rebuild the engine, after 140,000 miles?? Heres what I have done to try and fix the problem:

1. Changed Plugs/Plug Wires
2. New Air Filter
3. New EGR valve and Circuitry
4. Checked codes (nothing was wrong, I got the "Engine OK" code, 32 i think)
5. New alternator 75amp

So after all of that nothing has changed accept my charge pretty much, and a little performance. So Im begining to think its time to reuild it because I think im losing compression (takes me a few extra seconds to start it.) I need some opinions!!! Please.

Thanks,
cbeerxx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Time to Rebuild??

140,000 isn't that many miles.
Before I'd "rip" into it:
1) Do a Compression Test. What's your numbers?
2) Do a vacuum test.
3) Check for a clogged CAT. (sometimes it'll show up on the vacuum test)
4) What brand plugs did you put in? Gap?
5) What brand wires did you install?
6) Cap and Rotor replaced? (not listed)
7) Fuel filter replaced? (not listed)
8) Injector cleaner run through a tank of gas? (not listed)
9) <font color="blue">RonnieB-aka-RonBo</font color> listed a few other items to check in your original post.

BTW, Nice looking rig.
Hope it's running like it looks in a short period of time. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:16 PM

I second the nod toward the clogged cat. My father-in-law has had two broncs that he kept in stock form and both had the cat clog up on them. Caused a large power loss-they wouldn't go over 55mph! But yeah, listen to Ron-Bo - he knows what he's talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 04:58 AM

I didn't notice that you had cleaned your throttle body, sure wouldn't hurt but I don't know if its the cure to your problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 12:56 PM

I totally agree with WD-40 and his list.

Do these items in order as well. If you're worried about your motor getting tired, the compression test will help ease your mind anyway as it will show you not only each cylinders ability to hold compression, but also the numbers between all your cylinders.

Does your motor currently smoke out the exhaust or comsume oil regularly? How much?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm

Well heres the deal, the plugs/plugwires are all AutoLite and I have cleaned the Throttle Body.

But I never thought about the Cat. Now that you mention it.....everyonce in awhile I get a faint funny smell. Not to strong, but just enough that I have to stop and think about it....(smells kinda like a sodering iron or burned electronics). Its never really too strong so I've never worried about it much....

Im probably guna take a look at the catalytic converter. Im wondering if its just clogged or if its screwed. And I'll change out the Fuel Filter, cant hurt.

What do ya think?

P.S.
Thanks for the compliment on my truck. I take pride in its condition. It'll shortly be receiving a major trail-ready overhaul. Plan to take it up to Dusy-Ershim in the Sierras.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

take a look at that cat first! in fact, the stock exhaust routing is retarded and rides dangerously close to the transmission. I would (and will do when i have a little $) cut the main pipe right as makes the bend toward the back of the truck and have a new hi-flow cat put in, along with a nice long straight pipe headed out back. Or if you're not worried about johnny q law, just leave the cat off and go straight back. New cats really stink! In case you don't know, we actually have 2 cats on our trucks, and I gutted the 2nd one and immediately noticed more torque (a lot actually) and it sounds more like a truck. I couldn't really get to the 1st one so I left it, and it still feels very sluggish, and lately there's a flapping noise when i rev it and let off the gas in park, though that could be the massive exh manifold leak [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Engines do naturally burn more oil as they age, and though and looking at that honeycomb in the cats made me realize it wouldn't take much to clog those small passages up! Mine burns no noticable oil, even on a cold start, but I'm still very suspicious of the #1 cat... I'm going to have a date with it very soon, and I'm gonna kill that kitty! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 PM

Ya compression test and don't forget the oil squirted in the offending cylinder will let you know if it's valves or rings. Good looking truck, but please lose the front air dam below the bumper and get those lights mounted higher, lift it 8 inches with springs and D44 SAS in front, cut the rear quarters, trim fenders, skid everything, put in a stroked 351 with a blower, 38" meats, do the saginaw swap, install ARB's and get with it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Blown, don't worry, those lights and air damn will self-clearance just like fenders do with big tires [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:09 PM

Muddy is right about the exhaust, if everything else checks out okay.

I copied WD-40's mondo high flow single system and there are pictures of it in posts further back. Picked up some major power, much better sound at full throttle(even with stock type muffler) and even better mileage.

Crawl under and look at that snake of a congested stock muffler system, then check out the photos.

Then do it !

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode