water pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

water pump

hello all,

I have a 1990 Ford Bronco with a 351 and it is in need of a new water pump, I want to get something good, definetly not a remanufactured pump and was wondering what everyone has used on their own trucks. Also does anyone know if they Bronco needs a reverse rotation pump becaue of the way the serpentine drive is set up? Thanks for your information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:35 AM

Re: water pump

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
definetly not a remanufactured pump

[/ QUOTE ] Why not? It's all new parts in there anyway. I'd go to Napa and order a stock replacement and call it good. Avoid Autozone, Kragen, or any other highly publicised place that sells crap. A lifetime warranty is still a PITA if you are replacing it every week. Autozone is good for cheap tool rental though (Free! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:55 PM

Well, actually da zone was where I fould the pump I would put on my truck. I have no issue with them at all. I think you get into disliking them if you buy there low end brand x crap. They sell a pump made by GMB? aluminum new HP replacement for about $76. HP in that the bearings/shaft are more heavy duty, and the impellor is not cast and flows a bit better. Napa had a pump for about $50 that looked ok also. It was just a stock new pump, not sure it was aluminum, that's what most are selling now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 05:20 PM

Yeah, Napa's pump is aluminum- thats what i have in my truck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On a similar topic..

I have an 88 with the 302 and I need to replace my water pump.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this? I have a Chilton's manual but it isn't very helpful.

I currently have the coolant drained and all the hoses removed and the fan shroud loosened, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the fan so I can pull all that out and get to the belt tensioner.

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:49 PM

The fan is bolted to the clutch by 4 bolts. Youll need an open-end wrench to loosen them, while jamming up the clutch with a screwdriver so it wont spin. Once you get the fan off, do the exact same thing to get the clutch off.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THANKS! The whole thing popped right out.

Now, another question. Where can I get a good price on a thermostat housing?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 08:39 PM

I replaced mine thursday, it was a reman. from kragen-$17 buckz. Bad thing the stud/bolt that gos through the power steering bracket wasn't breakin loose, so i used a breaker bar and tore the stud in half. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I had to put it back together to get to work, water pump doesn't leak but i need to replace that stud, the power steering is winnin loud, without that bolt to help support it, it's flexin the bracket. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 10:42 PM

You went to the Zone Mark??? [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] I'm tellin Steve! Na na na na. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

txdoboy, do you mean just the thermostat or the metal piece that the hose connects to that's normally visible? if you just need a tstat, any parts store will have one, but if you broke the housing or it corroded badly, that's going to be a junkyard find or (dare i say it) a dealer$hip item! OR in the interest of time you could probably score a CHROME one pretty cheap out of JEGS or Summit Racing catalogs [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode