Need project tips for 79 F350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need project tips for 79 F350

Sup guys. I am only 16 and i just got in to the awsome sport of off roading. I just bought a 79 F350 Camper Special, and am looking for some things to get it ready for the (off) road. The only problem is that it is a 2 wheel drive. BUt, it has a Dana 70 rear and a C6 tranny mounted up to a 400ci engine. I am looking for engine mods as well as any other mods you guys know of. So, please help. Thanks guys! [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:56 PM

Re: Need project tips for 79 F350

congratulations on your new truck. Being 16 and wheeling is as challenging as it gets. Wheeling can be expensive but if you are looking to cut costs you have come to the right place! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Wheelin' in 2WD can be a challenge and will get you stuck more often than not if you are not carefull. I would always wheel with at least two rigs and have a tow strap, some chain, A highlift jack (which can be used as a winch, although real slow) and a long handled shovel (Believe me the cutesy army e tool isn't so cute when you got to muck out the bottom of your truck.) I think you can have a good time exploring mild to semi intermediate trails with these tools. (It isn't fun getting stuck and having to walk back to civilization). Ground clearance and traction are two things you may want to concentrate on next. Bigger tires can be made to fit with enough fender trimming. Be carefull though because although this is a cheap inexpensive way of fitting bigger tires you will have to figure out how to reroute your wiring, ect of your front fenderwells no longer fit and have to be removed. That D70 is a beast and there isn't many among us here who wouldn't mind having all that beef in the back of our own trucks. A disadvantage is that you will need the bigger tires to offer clearance enough to clear the big axle (thus the higlift and shovel when you are first starting out.) I'd try to fabricate an Onboard air system (try the search under Onboard Air and OBA for posts on this) to get the most traction out of my tires offroad by airing down to 15-20 lbs. The OBA is to air up again before traversing the highways. This system is expensive to buy but can be pieced together using junk yard parts and brass fittings/hoses from your local hardware store. Finally there is lockers. Detroit Locker is an awsome thing. It is verry expensive and should be done in conjunction with the big gears you will be wanting to go with the big tires. A transfer case will allow you to to gear down even more by shifting down into 4lo. Last but not least is the SAS (solid axle swap) You will want 4WD if you get way into this sport. All of this is not cheap but can be compensated by patience, and fabrication of alot of your own stuff. Don't go goo goo eyed over the catalogs in the magazines (we all do it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) Instead try to figure out how you can get there with the least amount of cash. In your case it may be cheaper and alot less work to sell the Big F350 and buy something with 4WD. I'm not trying to knock your new project. It just may be easier for you to start with something that has 4WD rather than going step by step as described above. If you just want to hit some easy trails then just do step one which is buying the propper recovery equipment to get yourself or a buddy out of a stuck situation so you can enjoy the rest of your day. Good luck man and welcome to the board! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK. Thank you very much for your reply. I thank you for taking the time to help me even though i am 16. I will be sure to carry around the stuff you told me too. Thans a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:32 PM

Get some aggressive tires, a Hi-Lift jack and cell phone...no doubt you'll be getting stuck. But the idea of getting something that is smaller but 4x4 would probably suit your interests much better right now. I feel your pain though...being 16 and wanting to 'wheel just dont go together financialy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

See, i have the money to do it though. I just cant find any thing for my truck. But i guess you are right, start saving for a true 'wheeler. Thanks guys.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:41 AM

Don't be discouraged! We have all been there too. You have a cool truck man. Take your trails easy and have fun and be safe! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Blackbob

MY TERN !!!!!!!

DUDE I'm 16 TOOO !!!!! And don't worry bout these guys they know their stuff eventhough sometimes they may sound like the bearer of bad news it's only for "our" bennifit. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]. But at anyrate I too have a 2WD only mine was given to me and there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm getting a 4WD even if I buy one becuase as far as mom is concerned [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]"there's nothing wrong with what I have" [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]. So I pray that a tree falls on it [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]or get rearended in the rain [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] . So I'm do the whole rear end locker bs all in good fun. Besides it may be expensive but look at it this way it's no different then going from a V6 camaro to a v8 or Just trying to make your Z28 a 11second car. You gotta look at it this way anytime you go tool time style on anything it's gonan cost you it's just life it's gonna happen. As long as you do it wisely and understand that your "NEVER" gonna get that money back your ok. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] But hey know that we're both in the same boat we can help each other out !

~BB~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode