Superlift Stuperprunner steerage installed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Superlift Stuperprunner steerage installed

$400 more thrown at TTB, but I love it. The install took about 3 hrs. start to finish with realigning the toe. The kit was missing two zerk fittings and one of the tie rod ends had buggered threads. I had to recut/fix the threads by advancing and backing off the castle nut about a hundred times! I had Superlift TTB pivot point drop brackets, so the holes for the idler arm mount were drilled already.

The kit works with my 6" spring lift and "knuckle under". The steerage is almost parallel to the axels and the stress is spread over another joint and idler arm. The steering is tighter. First thing I noticed, with one tire up on a jack, is that there is no play/loosness when I cranked on the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock. I had noticed as Shilo pointed-out, the twist in the stock steering at the inner joints. That is a thing of the past now. I had replaced inners 3 or 4 times over two broncs and a new tie rod recently after one rocky trip!

It was an easy install, but you need to be able to reset the toe. I don't think you get that much bang for your buck. I am pushing the limits of TTB with 37X12.5 Goodyear MTR's and ARB lockers. I first bent the stock drag link and on a later trip loosened the inner joint on a new tie rod. I would not have bought Stuperrunner had I not had the problems. Dangling Dave experienced some steering probs with 33's. If I was not bending and breaking steerage, I would not pay for this upgrade. I perhaps, should have saved the cash for a SAS. I also wanted a quick fix so I can get to the trails I want to do this summer/fall. I hope this solves my steering problems and thus puts off the SAS indefinitely, unless I break other stuff on the D44 TTB.
First pic is idler arm mounted at pivot point drop down bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170976-idler arm.jpg (54.6 KB, 52 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: Superlift Stuperrunner steerage installed

This is a pic from the front down low. No, I did not have to take my bumper off to install, so skid hides much of it. Rods are much closer to parallel with axles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170978-stuperrunner.jpg (58.8 KB, 47 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I had to hammer in the bottom of the passenger side shock to get clearance for the steering with "knuckle under".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170981-BFGshock.jpg (74.2 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Pic of the center joints, pitman arm, and steering damper mount. Only one u-bolt holding that mount on? I've since cut the other u-bolt for the steering damper and welded them on to securely mount the bracket.

Now I got to get it out, use it, and see if it holds-up.

I saw some DOM tubing at the local scrap metal yard. You pay by the pound. I'm going to pic it up and keep in mind the heavier 3/4 ton chevy joints. The chevy joints use the same taper, although larger in diameter. I'll go DOM and chevy joints next if I screw up these tie rods and rod ends. That is, if the axel itself holds-up, otherwise it's SAS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170984-supermiddle.jpg (77.9 KB, 47 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

This is a pic of the Superrunner vs stock.

3 notes: You must have the proper size drop pitman arm, proper drop bracket to mount idlerarm bracket too, and this would not work with knuckle under with anything less than 6" spring.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1170987-superrunner.gif (15.8 KB, 45 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks Great Swat! Got any spare TTB Steering stuff for sale?

dc
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:50 PM

Looks good Blown, looks like a much better design than stock. Hope it holds up for you.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Shilo

Oh wow, it looks like Superlift got cheap (again). My Superrunner was the older style.... the tie rods were tubing tapped at each end. Looks like your tie rods are just solid bar with a TRE on the end?

Anyway, glad you like it. It *did* improve my highway handling, just not that much IMO.

Did you have any probs setting the toe? Mine was always hard to set and never seemed to stay in place.... NEVER could figure out why.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Stuperprunner - You gotta be in a stuper to let them prune the green from your wallet. It's worth it to me IF it holds up.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

I will repost on the alignment issues if I have any and if I break/bend it. I had no problem setting the toe. I have not used/abused it offroad yet. Found a 6' section of dom tubing at the local scrap yard. It's the thicker stuff, 3/4" ID and 1 5/16" OD, I think. Only paid the price for scrap by weight, $7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode