Need Help - What to do next? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 10:08 AM
sbrich

Need Help - What to do next?

1988 302 99k miles has started pinging at 2k RPM (Highway and around town with it occuring at other RPM's around town). Changed cap, rotor, wires, and plugs (Accel cap, rotor, wires and AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs). Been running premium Amoco gas (usually use mid-grade Amoco)
No Change.

Retarded the timing - Lost a lot of performance and actually made pinging worse. Put timing back to where it was.

Changed the EGR, EVP and PCV Valve. - No change.

Other things I should mention:
Hard starting in morning - crank it for 5-10 seconds and it will not turn over. Crank it again and it fires right up.
After starting the idle will loop (goes from 800-1200rpm)until finally settling down to normal idle (650-700 RPM). Let it idle, put it in gear and the idle drops, sometimes stalling engine.

At stoplights (and other similar situations)lightly press pedal to close gap with car infront, let off gas and the idle loops up and then drops off and stalls engine.

Vacuum issue or fuel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: Need Help - What to do next?

Did you get it in any water recently? Any moisture in the dist cap or air filter?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
sbrich

No water. Everything is bone dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 PM

Change fuel filter lately?

Otherwise, a sensor issue...it is EFI, right?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM
sbrich

Changed the fuel filter a little while back. it has been little less than 1 year.

Could try it as a simple/cheap rule out.

It is EFI.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:24 PM

have you used fuel system treatments in the past? If not, wouldn't hurt to also pick up a bottle of complete fuel system cleaner if you're going to try the fuel filter. If those items don't help, I would start looking at some of the vacuum hoses.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 AM
adashby

I am having the same problem i have replaced the fuel filter to no result and also done everything you did. I have been told it is the MLPS sensor on the transmission. If you cure your problem be sure to post how. I need to know!!! [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same problem here. Mine seems to clear up a good bit when it gets up to normal running temp. It's really bad first thing in the morning - it will loop about 500 rpm's no matter if I'm hard on the throttle or not or in any gear. Since it seems to be somewhat heat related, I've suspected my cat converter but haven't checked it yet (not really sure how to). Bought a code reader on the way home from work today from the Zone for $30 and am going to pull codes over the weekend to see if I can find the culprit.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, everythings was good with pulling codes, so I guess no bad sensors. I'll keep fiddling with it and if I come up with anything that helps, I'll post to let you know.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:17 AM
sbrich

First of all thanks to everyone for their help [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Update:

Drove for a few days after fixing codes and finally no codes coming up. Adjusted the timing Saturday to 12Deg BTDC and it works great. No pinging and performance is fine. Still going to run some High Test and I put some SeaFoam fuel additive in the tank.

I still have a slight idle issue (jumps slightly) but it is nothing that makes the truck stall.

If the engine is pinging, get it to the point were no codes come up on the computer and then look at the timing. Easy to do and well worth the time.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode