Trail Damage on last week's run on Holy Cross - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trail Damage on last week\'s run on Holy Cross

Well I finally got a chance to check out my Bronco after last weeks attempt up to Holy Cross City. By the way I parked at French Creek, I didn't have enough clearance to get up it without winching it so I backed down [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway I now have a leaky front diff, though I may have found the problems. I gave each bolt about 1/8 turn and the drain plug was about 1 turn from being tight. I guess I will see tomorrow if I have it fixed. I also am going to have to replace the front drive shaft, I have a big bash in it, and I am sure that it will fail if I push it hard.

I also did a pretty good job in tearing part of my rear bumper off, bashed in the tail gate. And now my tailpipe points into my rear tire.

All in all the trip was pretty fun. We had six Broncos up there, Keith, Nathan, Steve, Larry and Dan. Nathan drove up all the way from New Mexico, and he made it to Holy Cross city.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1168317-Holy Cross 8-03 067.jpg (97.4 KB, 89 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:11 PM

Re: Trail Damage on last week\'s run on Holy Cross

Sounds like it was quite an adventure......but wheres the pics? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, and howd you manage to loosen up the front diff?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, and howd you manage to loosen up the front diff?

[/ QUOTE ] Oooh ooooh! me me! I'll bet it was a rock! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'd keep the bashed shaft as an emergency spare unless you have one already. I'm thinking you are tackling some pretty technical stuff. I don't think you would be disapointed to get acquainted with Mr. Sawzall and get some bigger meats in there for clearance. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] On the diff you may have slowed the leak but once they start to seep you pretty much have to drop the diff, clean the surface, and reapply a new bead of silicone. You could get lucky though. Take Care and I'm glad you had a good time. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The big question was which one of the rocks that I hit [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I made a big mistake when I went with 33" tires last month. As soon as Keith and I started up Blanca I wished I had went with the 35's. Hey anybody want a deal on 33" with about 3000 miles on them?

I really want a SAS after seeing what an improvment they make. As far as my diff goes I am going to pull it this weekend and try a different silicone. Anybody got any suggestions? I was thinking about getting the Dana gasket and using copper-coat, this has worked well for me in the past. And yes I am going to keep my driveshaft for a spare.

See attachment of me and French Creek, French Creek won [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1168663-Holy Cross 8-03 036.jpg (96.8 KB, 71 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Shilo

Dave, if you can't find a front shaft locally, try this 'yard, I think they're in Montana: 800-345-1754 x213. Guy's name was "Shades," I got a front d/s from him last year. IIRC it was $45 to my door, which is a bit steep in the face of Pull 'N Save prices, but you're not gonna find any E4OD equipped 4x4's at Pull 'N Save, trust me. The shaft came shrink wrapped, like a big condom, huh huh, huh huh, and was in great shape. It was worth $45 to not have to hassle with my local 'yards. Something to think about.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Shilo

"I really want a SAS after seeing what an improvment they make"

I see that my ministering is working. Spread the word brother, spread the word!

For thee shall walk thru the shadow of TTB death, and be not afraid because thou has SAS!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:02 PM

Dave great pics! Glad you are out using it. Wish I could have made it. To bad I was not there with my 37's, lockers and TTB. It would be interesting seeing the difference between Shilo's and mine. I'm sure his set-up would make it look a bit easier, but I could do it. Maybe another trip.
Don't worry about the 33's, I think most if not all of us have started small and gone bigger. According to a trail book I have on Colorado, You have done or attempted two of the hardest trails in Colorado (short of full-on 4++ rock trails). Congrats! Now you build better to make it go! Take that bumper off and cut the rear quarters up to the tailgate. Fab a simple bumper and skid the tank. There's excellant post here on both prodjects. Did you hit the tank yet??????
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't take claim for the pictures, that was Shilo and his GF. I beat the tank pretty bad on Blanca and I am in the process of getting metal prices. Yes I wish that you had gone on this trip, perhaps we can go somewhere later in August or September. It looks like repair time for the next two weekends, and a little fab-ing time.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 03:11 PM

Great pics guys. Looks like you had excellent weather again. Now I'm envious, that looks like you had a great time, tough trail.

Dave, French Creek looks pretty difficult rockwise so I wouldn't worry if you couldn't make that. What tires you runnin' again? With the trails you have just run, you really need to be on 35" and a mudder or swamper, something fairly agressive. You locked front and rear? Have you watched what lockers will do for a rig...you watch Shilo on any of the more difficult areas...where maybe he actually had to lock front and rear? Nothing like lockers working for you.

Get your fabbin' goin', cut the rear bumpers, move the tailpipe, skid the tank. Cut the front bumper while you're at it! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Take it from me, with a 4" lift, even with 35's the bumpers just get in the way. I finally added that extra inch to the 4" lift as well. Although I have not done it YET, the mind is cooking up the plan for "trimming" the lower rear quarters as well. It's funny, 4" and 35" seemed pretty big, but once you get in front of obstacles like that, it just isn't big enough anymore.

If you take your tcase skid off for repairs, look at my site (I think I have managed to repost these)or talk with Shilo on a way to gain a bit of extra clearance with the skid plate.

Looks to me like you're having a heck of a lot of fun now!!!

Unfortunately for me, the local state forest I normally go up to has been closed for over a month due to fire danger. And I have no Broncoprojects. Can't do the winch yet, and rear fender trimming, well maybe a couple more beers, and I'll think on it some more. Maybe if I have too much beer, I will just wake up the next morning, and I've cut the heck out of it!!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

EDIT: by the way, I think I've also reposted the gas tank skid project, no worries now. guess I'll spend a little time this weekend and try to repost everthing back on superford, can't remember what I've done at this point.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well this is where I am kicking myself. When I built my diff's in June I ended up going with 4.10/4.09 gears, when I was at 4wp's I went back and forth trying to decide on 33" or 35"... I finally convinced myself that with 33" rubber I would get more torque. Well I wish that I had listened to the dark side and went with 35" rubber. And since they were having a 4 for 3 sale (being the cheap sob that I am) I went with 33" pro-(yes i know) comp tires. They have really worked well on the rocks so I am pretty happy with my short little tires. I drive a lot so in two years when I go get new tires I hope to have a d-60/10.5 sterling set up ready to go. If that happens I will go 37" or 38". I am pretty happy with my diff's, when I built them I put in TrueTrac's. They are not full lockers but I drive in snow and ice a lot and from what I hear full lockers can be a handfull at times. I had been waiting for the ElecTrac for 2 1/2 years and no sooner than I put in the TrueTracs they finally finished up the 8.8" ElecTrac. Oh Well, next Bronco [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Too bad about all the SuperFord sites, looks like thy wiped out a lot of good info.

Here is one last picture taken at the top of the trail on Mt. Blanca. Even with weenie tires I managed to scrape my way to the top. In the picture is Keith, Tanya, my son Aaron and Keith's two dogs Honey and Shilo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1169425-733770-R1-4A_3.jpg (90.8 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode