Nasty vibration and a loose rear pinion nut. 10.25 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Biggie_Truck

Nasty vibration and a loose rear pinion nut. 10.25

I was getting some nasty vibration coming from the rear driveline. When I checked it out the pinion nut was loose. I torqued it down to 160 ft lbs. It was o.k. but then after 25 miles or so it happened again.

Now I know to torq the nut until the preload is about 8-14 in.lbs. and to use red loctite.

Does this axle (10.25) have a crush sleeve. I dont think it does right? I know if it does Ill have to replace it. Just need to know. I could pull the seal but Im lazy and its freakin hot out. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Buy the way. No noise yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Shilo

Re: Nasty vibration and a loose rear pinion nut. 10.25

This is the #1 biggest most common problem with the 10.25. It DOES have a crush sleeve, yes. Replace it with a solid spacer ASAP (I should heed my own advice).

10.25s have a nasty habit of eating pinion bearings, mine runs hot as it is, around 150 degrees at the pinion snout on the highway. The 14 bolt in my van runs at 115 degrees under the same conditions (IR guns are cool!)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 02:37 PM

Yea, I thought it did. So can your solid spacer trick be used for the 8.8 then? It uses the same setup as the 10.25 (just not as big).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Shilo

My understanding is that you can also use a solid spacer in the 8.8, yes. I believe it's a 9" application, but fits most Ford rears (don't quote me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode