Tire rub progression - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Tire rub progression

Thought this was an interesting pic of the tire rub on the Rancho radius arm as I progressed from 31's to 33's to 35's and finally 37's. I've adjusted the stops to allow a little rub. This gives me the best turning radius. I got 10X15 rims with 3 7/16 backspacing (3 3/4" minus 5/16" spacer).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1168017-tirerub.jpg (58.4 KB, 78 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Tire rub progression

How about the rear fenderwell rubbing? I'd like to see that too? Do you think it's worth the effort of cutting the fenderwells and moving them inboard some for more flex or do you think extending the bump stops in rear is a better idea?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 06:02 PM

Just the straight arms, not bent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 PM

I have the same Radius arms he does. I do rub if I don't have the stops adjusted right. I think I'll have to get longer bolts for 37's and bend them to fit maybe. I think it'll work that way. That or conciously stop turning the friggin wheel when I feel tire and radius arm kiss. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 07:46 PM

there round radius arms, they will hit them smoothly and just rub some, no biggie.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Norm, when I had my springs made for the back, we also moved the axle back a little over an inch. When I got the 37's I had to trim all 4 fenders at the rear/outer fenders or they would rub/cut my new tread. My 37's do rub slightly, at full articulation, on the inside of the rear fender. You are on to that. They rub inside towards the front. I think moving the axel back slightly helped and it's not enough rub to worry about. I hate to think of using bump stops to limit travel, but moving the fenders in would be quite a task. I don't think it would be worth the effort.
In cutting the rear of the front fenders, I took off about 3" at the bottom and curved that to blend in about 8 inches up the fender. I then pushed the inner plastic fender back and remounted it. I used a propane torch to heat and bend the inner a little where appropriate. Cut any more and you can't remount the inner fender back.
I can't explain the rear cuts I made since I had already cut the quarter panels up to the tail gate. I attached a pic of that. I rewelded the inner to the outer and sliped on a piece of trim over the metal edge. (rock rash just in front of trim piece)

My Radius arm are Rancho's old style. Their new arms are bent to avoid the rub/turning radius loss. The MTR's side tread is just right to catch the size tubing Rancho uses. KUNK, KUNK, KUNK! It's got a beat, but you wouldn't want to dance to it. I adjusted the stops cause I couldn't keep from the kunk, kunk, kunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1168669-fendercut articualate.jpg (43.3 KB, 32 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 09:14 PM

I was just wondering if you had a picture of the rubbing on the inner rear fenderwell. I do appreciate the step by step though. It's always good to have an extra idea in the arsenel. I currently pollish my rear fenderwells when I go out and wheel through stuff that stuffs the tire up in there. I doubt it would cause much of a problem with 37s since I don't notice it doing it with 33's but it's plain to see once I get out and look. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 02:20 PM

Well, the curved Rancho's and 8" rims do make a difference then: with 35" MTR's, wheel stops ground DOWN so that I have a better turning radius (couldn't quite just take them out though without rubbing), no rub.

Norm, why don't you just take a BFH and pound the inner fenderwell, that's what I did. If you aren't getting much rub, just on off-camber stuff (I got that too), just pound away, it's good for about 1/2" which was enough to stop my rub. Oh, I should mention my interior carpet hides the little dents I have now made in the wheelwells, which would be noticeable on the inside with no carpet.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
wheel stops ground DOWN

[/ QUOTE ]
your gonna break the ears off your axles if they want to bind when you cut it so hard...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 08:03 PM

Its funny, cause when i went to 35s from 33s, my tires (on OEM 15*8 rims) rubbed like a mofo on my extended (new style) superlift arms. I ended up scoring a set of 15*10s cheap with the stock backspacing, so i swapped over to them, and was able to get back some of my lost turning radius.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1169568-rub.jpg (79.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode