Trap door to access in tank fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Trap door to access in tank fuel pump

Well, I finally got around to doing this.

I don't have a pic for now. But basically if the thought of dropping the tank to access the fuel pump and sending unit does not excite you, then this mods for you! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

It especially bothers me because I would also have to wrastle with the 35 pound gas tank skid I installed.

Basically what I did was use a hand hacksaw (one of those you can get in tight places). Wasn't real keen on the sawzall (poke a hole in tank, not good), nor did I like the idea of going up in flames with the grinder. So I took the slow but sure route, cutting out three sides of a 9.5" x 9.5" square. The access hole I positioned by looking under the truck. One can see by looking over the rear diff that the fuel pump screws into the top of the tank in the center, but toward the front of the tank. I looked up at the body and found a crossmember with two bolts sticking down. These bolts are for the steel latch in the bed of the body to hold down the rear seat. Using the rearmost bolt as my reference point, I measured 10.5" rearward. This is the point that would be the frontmost part of the access panel, so from there I measured another 9.5" rearward, and 9.5" side to side.

I decided that for strength, I would only cut the two sides and once across (at the rear part of the truck). The idea was to cut three sides and bend the access panel up when I was needing to get in there. How often would that be? I am hoping not very often, maybe not for years. So then I bent (the first time was not very easy as the bed is "corrugated") the access panel up, with the intact side being furthest forward. Now I can easily get right to the top of the tank, right at the fuel pump.

I pushed the panel back into place, put a little plastic edging around it, and put two little metal plates over the one cut side, and screwed them down to the access panel and body (DO NOT use too long of a screw!!). A little expanding foam, clean up, and paint, and I was ready to go. I can jump on this with no worries. I also still have nice carpet back there, so I laid that down, and reinstalled the rear black plastic edge that goes across the bed right at the joining of the tailgate. This edge piece holds the carpet down. So, all finished, easy to get to, and totally unnoticeable. Should be water/leak proof too, for the most part.

Also, if you do this, clean up all metal shavings that fall down on the tank, don't want all those little pieces rusting up there. I also took the time to clean up the top screw in. My pump was a factory replacement I had the Ford store do while in Denver several years ago. Those nice Ford folks had a little sticker on there with the part number and the date of manuf. 8-14-98. Seeing as I only drive 7-8k per year since the replacement in '99, I should have many years of trouble free service out of this pump...but just in case, I'm now ready for a much easier job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Trap door to access in tank fuel pump

now i dont know how big of a hole you needed or you cut....but why not just cut out a hole and mount a gas door from the side of a bronco/truck and put a simple wiper style key lock on it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 05:07 PM

a gas door wouldnt be big enough to pull the pump through....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 05:40 PM
broncoman

Sounds like a nice professional job, hopefully you wont have to put it to use for a long time. Your orig. pump didnt last long did it? Crossing my fingers my original will last a good while yet as replacing it sounds rough. Now your going to have to pull the carpet back again so you can provide use with pics, hurry up with the purchase [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Good Job Juice! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This is kind of off topic and real simple but I just want confirmation. If I wanted a FI Tank with the pump in it all I'd have to do is drop mine and put a FI tank in right? Or will the pump fit in the same place as the sending unit in my truck? I haven't spent alot of time checking out tanks yet. I'm still playing with the Chevy TBI idea and I think it would be cool to run an OEM pump to run the non OEM injection. I'm sure I'll have to source my own regulator but I think it would work nicely and not have alot of external pumps to worry about. I could take the entire fuel line setup off the parts truck while I was at it. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

freebird01, that's a thought, but Burned is right. At 9.5" square I have enough room (I think, since I have not acutally pulled the unit out yet, though I don't see how It could not come out, there is more than enough room). The gas tank doors are only apx. half that size.

Broncoman, the key to long life (if you are a fuel pump, and IMO, though I am not a fuel pump), is keeping the fuel flow in good working order. Regularly change the fuel filter, and put the additives in to clean the fuel system. I am convinced on the later models with only the high pressure in tank "push" pump that these measures make the differnce in a pump that lasts 70K (like mine) or 140k.

BigNorm.....

You have two pump choices most likely. Mine, which is the single in tank hi pressure pusher pump found in the last years of the bronco. Or they made a dual pump system. I am not totally familiar with that system, though I know the external frame mounted pump is the high pressure unit. The in tank unit is a lower pressure. Now, I would prefer an externally mounted electric pump for simplicity, like the latter unit, or aftermarket, but I suspect there must be some issues to these. I had read heat was one factor, which in my in tank unit is not a factor. I think bottom line though is matching an electric pump with whatever the recommeded pressure is in the FI system you purchase. And, if it is computer controlled, that may limit your options as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:05 AM
dawgghanson

yo Juice!
Finally found my old password for this great MB the other night! BTW, I'm alm (miesk5 also). Thanks for this; I think it is a real time saver and will be used by many; btw again, Keith L has some pics and dimensions of his fp access at Ryan's SF site (Keith's pics were accidentally del. as well); Keith measure from rear to forward and from passenger side.
Cut-out Measurements for Fuel Pump/Sender Replacement in a 90 by Keith @ Ryan's SuperFord.org:
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...s=8829#content
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Shilo

Wow, I was gonna repost those. I didn't realize Ryan had stolen my pics LOL

I used a piece of floor from a donor Bronco to cover my hole, just laid it down with silicone and anchored with a few sheetmetal screws. Works great.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Tank for EFI Pump

<font color="blue">Norm</font color>:
Or will the pump fit in the same place as the sending unit in my truck?
It won't fit in your "carbed" tank, if that's what you're asking.
Different hole diameters for the sending unit/fuel pump(EFI).
Carbed tank holes are 2", and EFI tanks are 3-5/8" holes.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 04:26 PM

Re: Tank for EFI Pump

Good post/idea! I'm gonna do it next time I need a full pump. Just replaced my fuel pump in the last 3 months and skidded the tank. It would take a jack to lower that thing now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode