D60 leaf or coil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Bluebeast

D60 leaf or coil

is there a difference between the D60 leaf sprung and the coil sprung. if so is it hard to change the leaf sprung to a coil sprung.

and what do years do i need to look for in order to get king pins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:43 PM

Re: D60 leaf or coil

King Pin D60: 86-91. They were all leaf sprung though. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Most guys I know that have done the D60 coil sprung have adapted the solid D44 radius arms (78-79 Bronco/F 150) to work with the D60. Here's a post that explains that process a little. IMO there's 4 levels of difficulty when going to a D60. 1: leaf sprund shackle front 2: leaf sprung shackle rear 3: coil sprung 3 ling 4: coil sprung 4 link.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Bluebeast

what years were coil? and norm that board just talked about center of gravity and cutting fenders and C cups being nice a size [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

if no D60 will a D44 solid sufice the 39s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 01:04 AM

Maybe with chrome-moly shafts and super-heavy-duty ujoints, but then youll just end up blowing your r&p. Basically, no, a 44 wont last long turning 39s. Especially if you intend to 'wheel it.

IMO, your best bet is just to do a shackle reversal with a leaf-sprung D60. I know of someone who slung a D60 with coils under his 79 (a buddy of MY2ND78, actually), and while it looks killer, and seems to work ok, i dont think its worth the effort.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Shilo

What years were coil? None.

Norm answered your question:

"They were all leaf sprung though."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Biggie_Truck

Go with the D60. Youll be glad you did.

As far as a difference, the harshness of ride is pretty high with the leaf springs however I have nothing to compare to and I used Skyjacker 4" F-350 lift springs with mine which are famously harsh to begin with. Ive heard that coils are a softer ride.

But if you are concerned about ride harshness you should buy a cadillac.

If you go with leafs make sure you reverse the shackles. Then you can do away with the track bar and have a very clean set up.

Converting a D60 to coils can be done. Its easier on some years than others. Shilo can tell you what years. Like on my axle the diff is pushed so far over there is very little room for coils and radius arm. However, the beauty of Fabrication is that you can do "almost" anything!

Good luck.

My Superford still works!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

screw coils, it's too much work and there's no reason to go that route. leafs are tried and true, and will flex fine if you get the right springs. like BiggieTruck says, the diff is moved way over to the tire on 85+ trucks because they had to clear the damned TTB crossmember, and there is no room to add a coil seat without doing some major fabrication that would involve welding to the cast steel center section. build your own shackles or get some non-OEM ones so you can ditch the tracbar, which I would definitely do if I was dropping a grand on an axle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 12:53 AM

Someone on Superford had a coil sprung Dana60 on a 92-96 body style. It was really sweet, but I can't find it anymore and I have a feeling his pics got lost.

Anyone have links to a sprung over rockwell vehicle???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode