OT, opinion on Digital Camera purchase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

OT, opinion on Digital Camera purchase

I need to purchase a new Digital Camera soon. My Olympus is likely going with the wife...or should I say soon to be ex-wife as we are getting divorced. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, it likely won't be messy, and we will remain good friends.

But, I'm finally getting around to cutting the hole in the bed so I can get at the gas tank sending unit. actually almost done, but will have no pics, so I need to get back in business again.

I saw a comparison of 5 cameras, and the one they rated best was the Canon Powershot A70, 3.2megapix. It is in my price range at roughly $243-350. Anyone have one of these, or suggest something different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:36 PM

Re: OT, opinion on Digital Camera purchase

i have a cannon camera the s-200. its great. i use it for work, real estate appraiser, and have taken thousands of pictures with it. i think cannon is one of the better names out there. the're small, lithium ion batteries, and can take some abuse. i did a lot of research on mine before i bought it. check the web for comparisons and write ups on the model your interested in. good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:14 PM

I have the hp photosmart 850, and i love it. Takes great pics, takes video with (kinda crappy) sound, and best of all, it has 8x optical and 7x digital zoom, meangin a whopping 56x total! Of course, i see the price is going up on it too.....i only payed 400 on it (plus some extra for memory cards and a reader, of course)

The market is getting pretty big on these things now, so all i can say is......look at the major companies, and pick from them. Sift through all the options available, and see what best fits ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Sorry to hear about the split, didn't know you were having tough times. Hope it's for the best of both of you.

On a lighter note, go with the Canon A70 or A60. I bought the A60 since all my work is web work (don't need the hi-rez for print work) for it's manual features, as well as it's superb auto features. Plus it takes AA batts, so I don't have to worry about power for it out in the field.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BurntPiston.

Yea, my Olympus took 4 AA's, and I liked that...once I swithced to rechargeables that are specifically for Digitals. Man, could that thing suck regular AA's dry in nothing flat. Now, with the charger, I can plug in at home or on the road with the car adapter and have fresh batteries in 1 hour.

I'm not real interested in the video, zoom is important, and I would like to find one that isn't difficult to switch to lower resolution pics. So much of what I use one for is the Tech pics, and posting high res pics, for those who don't have DSL or cable, is a pain.

Where has everyone been purchasing from?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 03:58 PM

Hope the split is for the best. I bought a nicon cool pix 2.0 megapixal. Around your price for the cannon so that sounds like a good deal. Mine has 10x optical zoom. It also has digital zoom which sucks. It is grainy. I think it just zooms by enlarging with same resolution.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Shilo

Juice I've got a Kodak DX3900. It's alright. For awhile I didn't always like it because it would decide to automatically darken outdoor photos. Then I got to playing around in the options menu and found that it had some sort of indoor or white light (or something) auto compensation, which I turned off. No problems since.

My only other complaint is that it can only snap about three photos before it has to take several seconds to "load" them. Of course that's always the time when the best shots are to be had...........but the camera doesn't care! OTOH I dunno if there are many digital cameras that can snap a multitude of pics in rapid succession? At least any that are affordable?

It's a 3.1 megapixel, so even on the lowest res the pics come out larger than my computer screen. I never take pics on anything but the lowest res. 95% of the pics on my reg page are from this camera, they've just been re-sized or cropped by myself.

I need to get a second rechargeable battery. It seems to use it up fairly quick over a weekend, and lithiums don't last too long and cost $10 at Wally World. I think running the screen on the back (for reviewing the pics) eats battery life in a hurry.

It does have a cool feature where you can zoom in 2x or 4x on the little screen, and then scroll around in the picture to look for details.

Damn, how's that for long-winded?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about the split, I have been divorced for the better part of 12 years now. Hope that there are no kids (other than yourself) involved.

As far as cameras go check out the Pentax website. http:\\www.pentax.com Let me know if you see something that you like.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 PM

I bought my camera from Best Buy , but I buy everything else from Buy.com.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

Shilo, yea, that was a long sentence for you! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I did notice that the cannon A70 I mentioned did not have the zoom capability of my Olympus 3x opt/9x digi, but now that I hear the digi zoom is not the best, I do think the cannon had about the same optical zoom.

Danglin' Dave, [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] is there any "connection" there with Pentax? I will check that site out and let you know if there is a camera of interest.

There are 2 kids involved, but neither are mine, they are my stepsons. They have actually been part of the problem for many years. Just can't keep them on any kind of decent path. And trust me, although I have household rules and have been a strict parent to try and ensure they have a proper education and do right by others, I also know about the "fun" of teen years, especially going to high school in Wash. DC area. So, I did cut my share of slack by them, but years of kids in constant trouble wears on a relationship. That's not to say they were our only problem, but, that's another way too long story!

We hopefully will remain friends, and on my end, after this years hunting season, I will probably revert to my more nomadic, loaner, self in terms of some US or Canadian Travel/Camping time again. You guys already know I have lived just about everywhere in the country, so part of the value of the Bronco to me is to be able to still drive it to my destinations, wherever they might be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode