Hub grease fittings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hub grease fittings

Has anyone ever heard of drilling and taping a hole in the hub(not the lockout) and inserting a grease fitting? I think it would be much easier than pulling the spindle off after a good dunking, as some recommend to repack the wheel bearings. I know it would be messy as hell when all the grease oozed out of either end but i look at it like free rust proofing. I though i saw a older dodge at one point with a cap instead of a lockout and a grease fitting screwed into that. I used to have a set of those permenantly locked hubs for a D44 and i saw a set on ebay for a D60 a while ago but they didn't have the grease fittings. IF i did drill into the hub i would get plugs for when i came time to take my tire off. I'd hate like hell to snap the grease fitting off. Just an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Hub grease fittings

With fittings on the end of the hub, you'd likely snap the zerk off on the trail. You can't put one on the tube of the hub behind the lock because the rim has to slide there. You also can't put it behind the mounting flange because the disk goes there. The only possibility would be to drill thru the edge of the mounting flange to the area between the bearings (the only worthwile location to add grease) and recess the zerk into it, but that would be expensive & difficult.

The short answer is: you can't. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you use'd the grease fittings that require a needle to grease them like my u joints then chances are they could withstand punishment on the trails on the hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Mud in my Veins

It could be done, but the problem is that by getting more grease in there you still haven't necessarily gotten the water out! On most things with zerks like balljoints and sealed hub assemblies you push the water and old grease out as you put new grease in. This won't really happen with our hubs, at least not completely. I'm still not sure that packing the hub full of grease is a good idea though, as both the Timken site and TheJuice mention that having empty space around the bearings is critical for proper cooling as the hot grease pulls heat away from the bearings as it slings off. That is the theory anyway, in practice it might not be a big issue for our bearings since they have relatively little force on them compared to the bearings off a semi truck. I'd love to pack the crap out of them but I've lost a bearing at 75 mph before and it's not fun so I want to find out if it's really a bad idea before I try it. I think Steve's done it on some truck though without problems... maybe Havack's truck. Packing the spindle bore is a really good idea though, there's hardly any load on that bearing and I think that's where most water enters the hub anyway! If it was easier to remove, it would almost be worth it to remove the lockout and use a hairdrier to get the moisture out of the hub... once the water is in there it has nowhere to go [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:08 AM

Muddy said:
"Packing the spindle bore is a really good idea though, there's hardly any load on that bearing and I think that's where most water enters the hub anyway! If it was easier to remove, it would almost be worth it to remove the lockout and use a hairdrier to get the moisture out of the hub... once the water is in there it has nowhere to go"

Actually, Muddy, my water "penetration" seems to always be out at the manual hub dial, and there is usually very little, but enough to start some rust issues. But, the inside part of the spindle has always been nice and clean. The seal to the knuckle has been flawless.

Back to the post, the idea of zerking the hub could be done if you drilled/tapped right in between the bearings, but, what does that get you? If contaminants get in there, greasing will not help, you need to pull the hub assembly, period, or pay the price. You should not have the hub assembly packed full of grease. If you do, this goes against Ford's service spec, Timken"s bearing recommendations, likely the hub dials warranty (milemarker specifically warns against this), and general servicing standards for hubs.

The time needs to be spent on maintaining the best possible sealing you can get, use high quality synthetic grease, and regularly check/inspect for contamination.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well i just tore the 60 apart a few weeks ago and got new everything except for the carrier and gears. It cost a lot and i just wanted to see if there was a little easier way than spending a day ripping the hub apart after a dunking. If there is no better way than so be it. I bought all of the seals at either Napa or Ford and put all new bearings/races in everything whether it needed it or not. Since it was a fresh pack job on them i just wanted to ensure i got enough in there. I used 2 tubs of grease, 1 for each side and put new Warn hubs on it. New upper and lower kingpins and new ujoints.

Now if it would stop raining on the east coast for more then ten minutes i could swap the motor and FINALLY drive the damn thing. I'll pull then bearings out and pack them again just to be sure.

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM
kd5kuu

I think you are going to find grease splattered up on your tires and wheels if you put that much grease in there. I overgreased mine once and when the thing got hot it flung grease out of the seam where the o-ring for the hub is.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Pooh-Bah

I knew I'd find it!!!! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
The Tool. (at least, how to make one)
From this post.
<font color="blue">Steve83</font color> put some nice "grease" shots in there too. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode