Need some help with the steering column... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Larnach

Need some help with the steering column...

I've got 2 days off this weekend to get some things done on the old project.

I've been working on the steering column, just dropped it, found out the gear indicator mechanism is broken. Well its not even a mechanism, its like a POS string attached to some plastic housing that is next to impossible to remove, how do you get that thing out of there?!?

Secondly, I'm having that park to reverse problem, I noticed when my column is dropped, the gear selector is fully locked, but when its mounted, you can freely choose between park and reverse even without the key in it! It sometimes will fall into reverse and the truck will start in reverse!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

So anyway, I'm trying to address those problems this weekend, anybody have any info?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Need some help with the steering column...

I'm not sure on the shifter - mine doesn't have one. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For the indicator, look at this pic. The green bracket on the end of the cable has a black plastic wheel inside it; unhook the cable loop and spin the wheel until the cable sheath is free. You can unscrew the green bracket, but it's more likely that you'll break it and you still have to unhook the cable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Larnach

Thanks for the reply, but the cable is broken though, there is no way to get to it, I spliced the plastic part open so I could pull on the actual cable to actuate the selector switch... am I not reading your post correctly?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Larnach

Oh yeah, Steve do you think the 92+ instrument cluster will work on my 88, I've been looking at those interior parts you have and I want to do a complete swap but don't know if the gauges will work properly. I don't think they make a tan/mocha colored dash for the 87-91 trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode