Pop-up Tent Trailer for Wheeling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Pop-up Tent Trailer for Wheeling

Got a new project. 2001 viking 1706 tent trailer, very basic. It is only 12' long hitch to back. I flipped the axel down under the springs, added a block, and three new 24X6.8-13 tires to get a 7 inch lift. It has 11 inches of clearance under the axel and 22" under the frame. It only weighs 1,200lbs unloaded. Got plans for a generator, maybe AC, CO2 for air-ups, and an outdoor shower. CO2 could run my airtools and the generator my welder. It has heat, lighting, sink/water/pump, and much storage. I think it will be great for longer trips as a base camp. I should be able to get it out and away from other RV's, down a 4X track, into the woods! I'll still tent camp for overnight quickies or where taking a trailor won't work, and some trails require you to pack light.
Now to sell the boat to cover it. Recent move to CO from AZ's large lakes makes boating here less fun than the Rockies. The Rockies be my thing now, so I got a small, wheelable, land yacht.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 PM

Re: Pop-up Tent Trailer for Wheeling

Sounds pretty good Blown. We just went camping a few weeks ago and I was telling the wife the same thing. We were just cruising some trails and ended up finding a great spot next to the river. The tent was cool, but we have rafts and too many kids(with their junk) that a tent trailer would have been ideal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:58 PM

Where be the pics of your new 4wheelin' home in the woods? Does it come complete with Microwave, TV, video games, like in that SUV commercial?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I can get all the gear that would usually go in/on my bronc in the pop-up camper. I could get extra stuff like bikes, raft, or kayaks on the roof of the pop-up. It means less set-up time and once done, I'm ready to wheel without readjusting and unloading stuff. Gotta go by the dealer and see how they set-up roof racks. I'll weld-up my own. Can't wait to get it out. They can be expensive with larger less wheelable size and all the goodies installed. I paid only $2,800 plus $275 for lift, rims, and tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

No microwave! Pretty basic to keep it light and wheelable. It does have an inverter and two outlets for the blender (Margarita's) and the laptop with DVD (kids shows and games) and topo map program of CO.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:08 PM

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! A lifted pop up trailer would be cool! I don't think lift blocks will be an issue on the trailer either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Dang me, I have had my folks visiting plus work and the trailer. Pics this week-end. I don't think the lift blocks will be a problem since there are no brakes nor torque from a motor applied to the axel. I'll retighten the new u-bolts after the first 200 miles. I got to get it out and try it. I may need to go to a pintle type hitch if I twist-up the stock one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Pooh-Bah

Now to sell the boat to cover it.
What kinda boat ya got there to sell, <font color="blue">Blown</font color>?

Sounds like a nice little trailer you got there. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
We're kind of considering getting one ourselves, and doing exactly what you did to get some more clearance.
Less the blocks though. Keep an eye on those leaf springs on your first couple runs. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
A "heeper" in the Great Falls club has a nice one for sale.
Tent Trailer at Fun Run
Detailed Pics
Price sounds good at $2400, but it does need a bit more ground clearance. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'd just as soon "tent" it for another year though,
if we can find a good deal on a ski boat in the near future. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Boat is a little 1985 18.5' Searay Seville cutty cabin. I/O Mercruiser MCM170 aluminum block 4, heat exchanger for salt water, skiable, very good camper. Just can't see using it on the little lakes in CO. I like fishing, but water skiing is becoming a thing of the past.

I'll watch the blocks and u-bolts. I don't think there will be a problem. If there is, I could always get some taller springs at the junk yard.

My pop-up looks to be very similar to the one you posted, but I did the lift and the larger rims, 13" and tires to get two more inches in radius over the stock 12 inch rims. Could change the hubs from 4 on 4 to a 5 bolt 15, but I was trying to keep the cost down.

I think it will serve the purpose. I don't expect to take it on tuff trails, but maybe close to the trail head. Certainly away from improved camp sites and graded roads when I can.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Boat

1985 18.5' Searay Seville cutty cabin. I/O Mercruiser MCM170 aluminum block 4,
Nice! That's got to be a bit of a downer to part with. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
(I also know, it'll be a bit out of our price range at this point.)

Those 170's are excellent set-ups, albeit needing to do regular flush and fill on the FWC.
Did you know those blocks are based off an old Lincoln engine? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
And....the head.....are you ready <font color="blue">Norm</font color>....is actually from a....460. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
(Worked at a boat yard for 4 years while going to college.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode