does anyone know hos to lubricate the spindal... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 03:41 PM
96XL

does anyone know hos to lubricate the spindal...

does anyone know how to lubricate the spindal needle bearings? on our full size broncos? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 03:49 PM
96XL

Re: does anyone know hos to lubricate the spindal...

i took a quick glance this morning and did not see a grease zerk??? are these sealed?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 04:49 PM

Gotta pull the spindle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM

They do have a seal against the knuckle, but they are not "sealed" and so require period lube. As Lookin' stated, you have to pull the spindle to get to those needle bearings. And on your '96, that will also mean taking the 2 little bolts out that hold your ABS sensor in place. Have you seen/done that before?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

If you suspect the bearing of being damaged, definitely take the time to disassemble & replace it; it only costs ~$16/side for the bearing & seal kit.

If you just want to prevent damage, you can make a tool like this to lube the spindle. I'd like to, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Instead of all the machining he suggests, you can just weld a tube to an old (or new) wheel bearing nut, block off the end, and install a zerk.

Spindle Luber
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 PM
96XL

Could you please expand on this issue? i dont understand how this tool will lube the spindal needle bearings? thanks for everyone's help i am new to all this but i want to learn. thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:18 PM

A zerk won't work up there. It's not like a boat trailer without brakes. The heat generated by your brakes would cause all that grease to expand (try totally stuffing all the open area in there with grease sometime and you will see what I'm talking about) and you will have grease getting all over the place. Nuff Said.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:30 PM
96XL

does anyone know what ford used? or what people use in lieu of regular grease?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:44 AM

The house brand fully synthetic grease at Canadian Tire is what I use

It seems to resist being displaced by water better than standard greases. Also, I know you guys must be getting P.O'd by now with my recommendations for all the Mopar products I use, but that's what I know and they work and they're a darn sight cheaper to buy than any comparable HD Ford product. I get mechanic's prices at both dealerships and Mopar stuff is whole lot less per product.

Anyway, they make an extreme duty wheel bearing grease for fleet use that has never failed me and doesn't look like molasses when you get around to changing it years later. If the parts tool at your local Dodge dealer isn't aware of it, ask for the Mopar lubricants brochure/catalog. It's about 15 pages and it is pretty impressive what's available. Once you have the part numbers, your local tool can order it for you.

Sixlitre
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 02:33 PM

It's just a Ford spec regular grease. They used nothing special. The only time a manuf. will ever use something real good, is if they are charging you a real good price for what you're purchasing...i.e. HP cars like the corvette get synthetics, etc. because you are paying for it anyway.

As Six Litre said, a good quality synthetic I think is your best bet. Spend time cleaning everything up real good, replace anything that appears worn or damaged, reassemble carefully using the proper amounts of synthetic grease and you'll be good to go, as long as you stay out of deep water. Go in deep water and you have to check to see if ya got contamination! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] This is where sealing is very important. If it leaked some in, time to clean er up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode