Hey Juice, question on knuckle over setup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Juice, question on knuckle over setup

Now that you have used the knuckle over setup for a while, how do you like it? I bent a lot of stuff last weekend and I need to replace the drag link etc... So I was wondering if it was worth the pain to flip the tie rods?

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 04:23 PM

Re: Hey Juice, question on knuckle over setup

Dave, I got the superrunner set-up coming to me. If it works for me, I would have a heavy duty drag link (angle welded on), heavy duty tie rod (angle welded on), extra adjusting sleeves, and tie rod ends. The knuckle under works fine and is easy. I utilized the above components on Blanca with the knuckle under and my 37's. The only problem I had was the joint on the inner tie rod got lose (did not notice till one week later). I had an extra, so I've welded iron on it and replaced it. Those inner joint take the most strain, I've replaced the drag link or the tie rod several times. That's why I'm gonna give the Superrunner set-up a try. Throwing more money at TTB, maybe my minds "blown". I should have it done next week-end Aug. 16th & 17th and the old parts available. I'm gonna knuckle under stupersteer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sound great Blown! What did you think of Blanca? It was a pain with 33" rubber, wish I had 37"...
dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:43 PM

Blanca is a ruff trail. I would have been disappointed if it wasn't so beautiful, high, cool, and with great fishing. Really, all that rocking just to do it would not please me nor my family. I do like working the bronc some, but 4.5 hours to do 8.5 miles? A nice challenge, but the real payoff is getting out and somewhere cool and away for me, not just the wheeling. PM me if interested in the reamer or parts. I should have the stuperrunner mid week and extra parts thereafter. Blanca found my bronco weak link in that tie rod inner joint.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:49 PM

Actually Dave, don't forget, it looks like you did it with a mix of 33's and a 31!!!!! As Shilo said, you must be good behind the wheel. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, Knuckle under, so far myself and Crazed have been very happy with this very simple mod. Well worth the effort. Piece of advice, if you do need to buy some new steering components, make sure you get the best stuff you can find. When I did my outer tie rod ends, and inner (drivers tie rod) I bought McQuay Norris, lifetime warranty at Schucks. McQuay is a division of Dana/Spicer.

I've still been kicking around the idea of buying some .120 tubing to "sleeve" over the steering arms, but that only helps keep the arms from getting bent. Doesn't add any strength to the tie rod ends or the adjusting sleeves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:07 PM

If I sleeved over with knuckle under, the passenger side/drag link would hit the front shock. I chose 1/4 X 1" angle because I could weld it to the front of the steering rods = no clearance issues.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Re: Supperrunner Steering

Blown, when you get to the Superrunner Steering setup, be sure to post about it! I would love to get rid of some of that bump-steer by doing the knuckle under, but unfortunately NJ wont let me [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 01:08 PM

OK, I'll bite RepT. Why won't NJ let you?

That mod to the steering might be considered a safety issue by them?

If so, my question is, with all the billion different types of vehicles they see every day for inspection, how in the world would they know by looking at this modification that it is not stock? I mean, 1) they must be doing some pretty thorough looking at a vehicle to actually notice something is not stock like this, and 2) this mod on mine looks totally stock. If you didn't know quite a bit about Broncos you would never know that I had done anything concerning moving those tie rod ends.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 01:58 PM

To be honest, i cant remember where i read it now, but NJ doesnt want you changing the orientation of steering arms to the knuckles for some reason. Which i find rather funny, cause it would obviously help with steering the truck. NJ's DMV is crazy man. Since they changed the inspection centers over to private companies (as opposed to state-run), the laws have gotten kinda wacky, and different shops will pass/fail different things. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

This seems pretty weird to me, but thats life in NJ! I might be able to get by with it.....im pretty sure that BII's are knuckle-under from the factory, so i could probably convince a skeptical inspection 'official' that they all are.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:28 AM

Dude, all I can say is, live a little and find out!

Man, we supposedely live in a free country, yet we cringe every time we interact with the state or fed.

F THEM! Do what you want to do. Do it right, make it look good, and the A holes won't have a clue.

Do it right, and this is not a safety issue. Factually, it will likely improve your steering.

Sorry, it is good there is some regulation to look for 50" lifts, other unsafe lift practices thrown together by some goofball, among other things, but geez, let the proper truck alone.

Do it
Just Do it
Do it.

But, don't let me influence your decision any [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode