Hey Juice, question on knuckle over setup - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 01:32 AM

Re: steering

hahahahaha, yeah, no pressure at all [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, NJ is a pretty wacky place to live, but youre right, i probably shoud just say screw 'em and go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: steering

Here ya go Rep'T, the info. goes on and on, not sure if this is the newest info on New Jersey law, but specifically it talks about the inspection. I think this modification would fly, but I see your concern. Basically it looks to me like these inspection stations (wonder if they are run by private "for profit" companies)are god in NJ. The basic premise is off the shelf type lifts are OK, as long as total lift heights/tire sizes are adhered to. Anything custom they don't like. So, even though this would be a good mod to get your steering angles back more to stock, they probably won't like it "just because it's custom"

If you don't run bumpers, MUDDY, don't go visit RepT!
Springovers are not legal, no matter what.
Actually, probably half of us on this board couldn't go visit Rep'T for one reason or another due to NJ's vehicle laws. I would bet that if they don't like spring overs, they won't like SAS!!! Not because there is something wrong with it. It's just "custom" and they have no control over what you are doing.
New Jersey lift laws/inspections

New Jersey Laws

The following is information obtained from the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles which was submitted by loyal viewers of CustomTruckShowcase.com. Updated on 06.29.00.
Law guidelines and regulations are as follows:

An examination of your vehicle indicates that it has been raised more than 4 inches beyond its manufactured height. Under the provisions of N.J.A.C. 13:20-37.3, such a vehicle must undergo a geometric stability test.

These tests are being conducted by appointment only at these specialty inspection locations:

Asbury Park Specialty Site
1010 Comstock Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
(732) 869-8328

Morristown Specialty Site
101 Ridgedale Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
(973) 631-6578

Winslow Specialty Site
250 Spring Garden Road
Ancora, NJ 08037
(609) 567-0646

A comprehensive examination of the steering and suspension will be conducted. There is no charge for this inspection. Please call the location of your choice as soon as possible, since the test must be completed prior to the expiratio date of your inspection sticker.

Conditions for the motor vehicles with elevated chassis heights are:

(1) Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.

There were MANY more rules but this was all concerning steering.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:08 PM

Re: nj\'s cracked-out dmv laws

Yeah, thats the most complete link, but there are some other things they dont allow...like driving on the road without covers on your 'offroad lights', having two spotlights....some stainless brake lines arent legal....my taillight covers arent technically legal...those brushguards that extend in front of the headlights arent, as well as the metal frame ones that cover the rear lights....its just absurd. And yes they will fail you for that stuff- i know people who have! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 05:50 PM

Hey Rept! Go West young man! Go West! I always feel sorry for the people on the east coast living so close together like sardines. (I'm not saying we don't have cities, it just seems like the East coast is so compact. Hell you could fit half of it into Nevada and California) I don't want to make an East vs. West War but it seems to me there are to many Nazis [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] on that side of the Country. Take Care and BTW I'm with Da Juice on this one. Just do it! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 09:52 PM

i would love to be able to go to the west, (somewhere near Oregon or maybe Nevada would totally rock) but theres just no way i could afford to do a move like that at this point in my life [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Oh, and on an interesting sidenote, nj is the most densly populated state in the country, and its only getting worse. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I may need to jump-ship soon before its too late!
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 04:10 PM

OK Kev, don't bust my you know what's on this one, but I gotta crack a joke:

Kevin said:

"Oh, and on an interesting sidenote, nj is the most densly populated state in the country, and its only getting worse"

So, I ask, who in there right mind out there is moving IN TO Jersey? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh Norm, hey, was going to ask you....how far are you from Tahoe? My sis and her fiance are thinking of buying a vacation/ski cabin about 30 mins. south of Tahoe...so, if I took a drive to visit them, or borrow the cabin in Summer... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] how far does that put me from coming by your way? You could take me out on some of your trails!
post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:12 PM

That would rock man! Let me know when and I'll try and arrange the time off of work! I'm only like about 30 minutes away from South Shore Tahoe. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:18 PM

So, I ask, who in there right mind out there is moving IN TO Jersey? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

LOL, why the people who live (or rather, used to live) in New York City, of course! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 PM

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] NYC [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

It's all relative, isn't it?

Norm, so if their purchase goes through, that would mean I would be within like walking distance of your abode. They ski alot, which is the main reason for the cabin. I have more fun boating around on lake tahoe. Especially the south side, that little island...know what I'm talking about? Man, I might have to buy a little boat to bring down there, if they don't buy one that I can borrow!!!!! But anyway, you bet I would let you know beforehand, and we would meet up. Just no big bear hugs...you're a friggin' big dude. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just no big bear hugs..

[/ QUOTE ] Awww Shux. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode