Waterproofing the Engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Waterproofing the Engine

What all is involved in fully waterproofing the engine components? I plan on gettin it into some water and I don't want stuff screwing up. Any special parts needed?

My SuperFord Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM

Re: Waterproofing the Engine

air intake for engine
all breathers(diffs, trans, gas tank)
distributer
how to seal up most conections under the hood. lots of di elcetric on LOTS of stuff
the battery doesnt like being under water
that little list should keep you busy all weekend, ill add more to it when i get home tonight, i need to get on the road already...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:05 AM

What he said plus add an electric fan since mechanical ones don't like water. Make sure to add a switch to it. Go Diesel. They like it underwater better than gas motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 11:32 AM

Contain your enthusiasm, Norm! The guy asks how to protect his engine from water and you've got him following Zach into a powerstroke swap! hawhawhawhawhawhhaw!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 01:38 PM

Hmmm, what is your actual thinking? You mention "fully" waterproofing your engine?

The suggestions already mentioned will help keep your motor from sputtering/dieing, and help keep it from ingesting fluid it can't run on, but if you go too deep, these steps will have to be taken to much more extreme measures. And, you will need to be tearing into your front hubs after each soaking, and completely cleaning them out, unless you really have a good seal going on them. That is not a biggy, but it's one of the reasons I don't go looking for deep water, it's still time consuming.

you should also make sure you are set up to dump the gear oil in both axles without much trouble. And if you have a computer contolled truck, make sure you do something about waterproofing the computer, and the fuse box. make sure all the vent connections, including tranny and tcase, are up nice and high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode