steering wheel not straight - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:26 PM
grasshopper

steering wheel not straight

I have 87 xlt full size ,5.0 motor,manual locking hubs(when i take the tire off the hub can come off) i am putting 1.5 to 2" springs in front moog new upper and lower ball joints and radus arm bushings(moog),and tie rod ends question 1 do i need that scocket with the 4 tabs on the inside to get the the wheel bearings out for my 87.question 2 after it's all in and take it to get an allinement will that put my steering wheel staight when i drive staight now it's cocked to the right about 4" any help would be great thanks victor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:37 PM

Re: steering wheel not straight

yes, you need the special tool to take off the wheel bearings, and yes, the alignment should fix your steering wheel problem, but those lift sprigs are going to bring other issues up such as camber.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Shilo

Yep, you need the socket and any alignment should include centering the steering wheel. It'll be centered until you hit your first trail bwahahahah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 07:01 PM
grasshopper

hey thanks for the help and info by the way the springs came with new caster bushings ,should there still a problem with camber and caster
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Shilo

There's a strong possibility you'll never get it "within spec," even with the new bushings..............but it'll be close enough.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Pooh-Bah

There's lots of good info here about alignments, and how lifts affect the TTB.
Just let yer fingers do the walkin' through the search funtion. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
(Just be sure you pick the Ford forums, and not the default, All Forums.)

Try using "alignment" and "TTB" for starters. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
There's a great post from just a few days ago.

Welcome to "Broncotechnoland" by the way. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Mud in my Veins

Well I think his question is answered so I will now hijack this thread and ask a similar question. My steering wheel is more or less aligned with the tires, but somehow or another it is not aligned with the steering box. I'm guessing I did this when I replaced the steering shaft, but I was playing with the steering after I replaced all the linkage and noticed I can turn the wheel to the right until the right tire hits the radius arm, but when i turn left the box hits the stop before the tire gets within several inches of the left radius arm.

If the box isn't at its centered position when the tires are straight ahead, will that cause a pull in the steering wheel?

I have a very bad pull to the left that I thought the new linkage and home alignment would fix, but nope it's definitely still there. I'm going to recenter the wheel to the box then align the wheels accordingly, but would like to know if this can't cause a pull so that I won't be disappointed when it doesn't fix the problem and I realize the pull is due to the crappy engineering of a crappy lift made for a crappy front axle designed by crappy engineers [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yes, the box tries to recenter itself hydraulically, so you need to do that before aligning it with the tie rod ends. If a shop did it, take it back and make them do it right. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cool! No it's not a shop's fault, I'm sure they just aligned it with the wheel pointed straight ahead and had no idea that it was out of alignment to the steering box. I'll just center the box and align the steering wheel to it, then turn the ajusters in increments until the wheels are straight ahead, which won't affect the toe [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode