5.0 Power Options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Juggernaut87

5.0 Power Options

Monday i take the bronco in for a rebuild [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] while there at it im going to have them put in hp cam and bore it out .30 over. what else could i have them do to get some low rpm torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:27 PM

Re: 5.0 Power Options

The .030" overbore won't yield you noticeable power. Cam is probably all you can do without going wild. Just freshening up the cylinders/pistons/valve train and the cam should be a big improvement if you have high miles now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Juggernaut87

the guy i talked to named off a few things and said it would put me at 300hp, i duno if thats at 4,000rpm or 2,000, i didnt think to ask. i searched and found a post but it just gos back and forth one person says 400hp at 1,000 rpm and another says thats not possible. im not afraid to go TOO wild, as long as my gas milage is double digits, right now its at 9. i was thinking about the 347 idea but i read its to much heat. what #s should the cam be for low rpm torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With a 302 go for torque rather than HP. Unless you are going to street race rice-kids [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dc
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Juggernaut87

Im going for torque rather than hp so i can drag there puenie little cars all other the place
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:22 PM

That's good. Then ignore this builder's talk about HP. Don't let him give you big HP numbers and then SELL you all kinds of crap cuz he figures you have no idea what you're talking about.

Cam is a good idea. but guys, what is the scoop now on his 'puter, and injectors/fuel delivery? won't the puter only deal with minor mods unless he also springs for the expensive MAF?

Edit: forgot to ask, what kind of a rebuild are they doing? I assume they will pull the heads,clean those up, valve job, all new springs, rockers, etc? So you could go roller rockers there, and make sure they are using quailty rebuild pieces. Same with the cam, pistons, rings, timing chain, etc......

It's ok to want some more power, but make sure that you will be getting quality work, quality materials, so this new monster will last!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oops you are right, no major mods without MAF. They have cams available that will work for his setup. I think that PAW sells them as "Computer Cams" by Comp Cams. He looks like he has a 1989, so a Comp Cam should work. Go with roller rockers while you are in it.

Also some cute little stickers on the windows are good for 7-15 HP [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM

Really no reason to go roller rocker on a mild rebuild as he's talking...not spinning high RPM's or extreme duty. Of course they'll last longer, but a rebuild with standard valves will probably outlast the rest of his truck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Injected

>Also some cute little stickers on the windows are good for 7-15 HP

dang, that means I need about 4 dozen more stickers to catch up to the 800hp my buddies new Monte SS makes [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The sad part is when he bought it a few months ago he actually told me it made 800hp from the factory [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

I'm running the speed density comp cam in my 351w with ported heads and headers, the speed density systems will work with engines that have had a good amount of modification but you need to be very careful about the cam choice to make it work.
Cam Motion is also another place to check, they make excellent torque cams for the 302.
Greg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:04 PM

I would do the rollers just for the longevity aspect of it. Cost is not much over just buying new standard pieces, and heat/friction is reduced.

That's interesting info. on cams and Speed density.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode