Back to school 2nd Quiz. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Re: Back to school 2nd Quiz.

Coils are easier to get a near-linear spring rate, or actually any progression of spring rate that you want. But they require more suspension links to hold the wheels in place, which adds weight & complexity. So for the typical off-roader / shadetree engineer, leaves are "better".
[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

bent metal is for horse carraiges, I wanna ride on compressed air! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

obviously coils are better... that's what comes on Wranglers! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

Havack, you might as well have asked whether apples or oranges are better [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 04:52 AM

Leafs win in the rear because they are their own links, greatly simplifying the suspension and increasing reliability. Coils in front for better approach angles.

If I had coils out back I would cut the rear end off the body and frame behind the wheels... Wait a second, the Mustang has coils in the back!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:47 PM

Oranges of course....I put these up not to say who is right or wrong but to envoke some true technical talk. We got into a good talk in the TTB thread and we should continue with others.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:14 PM

I like grapefruit...

Coilovers are the best for travel, tuneable spring rate/ride height, and controlling suspension rate through the entire range of articulation. Coupled with an proper length link setup, you get those benifits plus zero change in caster/pinion angle throughout the cycle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 06:40 PM

Coils are cool for a trailer queen....but id rather stick to leaves. They still offer almost as much flex as coils do, but IMO theyre more stable, and you can carry more weight on them. And the simplicity! You dont need to set up a 3-link or 4-link for it to work properly. The less components there are, the less there is that can break! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Of course, coilovers are cool, but then you have to take into the fact that the softer coil is on top, so you will still get alot of body roll unless you have a anti-sway bar, which would remove any advantages the coilovers have offroad unless they have disconnects for the trail.

Of course, if you wanted to build a 'monster' of a truck, id go coil, since the higher you go with leaves you lose flex (and the ride worsens), whereas id imagine you actually gain travel with coils.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

leafs are better. Why? Because I say so!!! Especially if they are painted orange.

Please don't take another star away for my attitude!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 PM

Both have there pros and cons.
Leafs are simple, effective, but they have fatigue issues when they are soft enough to flex good. they also stick out in front and behind the tires lessing aproach angles, but like on my zuk, i dont let that stop me, i just let it grind on the rocks.

Coils are nice, have no axle wrap, flex out good, but usually are more costly, and tricky to setup right.
my main wheelign rig currently has leafs that work awsome, and ramp over 1000* on a 30* ramp
i am going to be doing my own 3 link setups here in the near future.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 03:06 PM

Both have there benefits, so I couldn't say which is better, as it depends on the given vehicle and use.

If I had a 1 ton truck I used for heavy 5th wheel towing, think I'll stick with a properly matched leaf spring setup for this.

with a small little trail tyke vehicle, think i would prefer a nifty little coil setup.

So, with Broncos, we ended up in a good compromise, nifty little coils up front (cept you Shilo [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), nice durable leafs in rear.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Leafs for the rear for simplicity, weight carrying ability, towing and for the ease of adding F150 leaves that are thinner to get more lift more travel. I like the coils up front for ride quality and the fact there's already radius arms to link them. I qualify my statements for the bronco as a trail rig.

I would dig doing a 4 link rear with progressive rate coil/overs to go with bent TTB and coil/overs in the front. Get some serious travel man, maybe enough to out-do the SAS gangsters. Gotta love the way them coils allow that TTB to travel! Give the TTB love it'll work for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode