Quick Blanca Trip Report - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quick Blanca Trip Report

Here is just a quick note on running Mt. Blanca over the weekend with Shilo. First of all if you are going to run this mountian, make sure that Shilo is with you, he and his GF were great help in this endeavor. His Bronco is everything you want in a Bronc, and I hate to say it but he made a SAS convert out of me (take note Blown). I will try to get my pictures developed this week, however Shilo had a digital camera and may be able to post quicker.

First the carnage, Jaws 1, my skid plate under the transfer case now bows up instead of down. Bent the rear diff cover coming down it.

Jaws 2, perhaps the scariest climb in all of Colorado. There is a plate attached to it from a jeeper that died there last year Aug-3. This is where I stood my Bronco up on it's end and almost walked off the cliff. I made my son get out of the Bronco before this climb and he thought that I was going to go over the edge, there will be more on this story later.

Jaws 2 1/2, caught the passenger side just before and under the door, both going up and going down. Pretty bashed in but repariable.

Jaws 3, I weeined out on this climb and went the bypass. Watched Shilo climb up this like it was nothing.

Various other dents and bangs on this trip, broke the vent for the rear axle off, tore a hole in a tire, now the truck drives down the road straight but the steering wheel is pointing towards 10:00.

dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:21 PM

Re: Quick Blanca Trip Report

Sounds like a blast...
Can't wait for pics [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Shilo

Well, thanks for the kind words Dave.....but IMO Dave was the hero of the day. With only a 4" lift, 33's, f&r limited slips and minimal experience on such terrain, Dave did a superb job. The few times when he got hung was for lack of clearance, and certainly not lack of driving skill.

Nonetheless, glad to hear that I have made another SAS convert [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], and ..... repair your body damage? No! Body damage is cool!

Anyway, Dave didn't quite have the clearance for Jaws 1. I *just* scraped by (literally), and my custom high clearance t-case skid and tranny xmember paid for themselves here. Dave, hopefully you have a good pic of my truck ON Jaws 1 'cause I don't.

I felt the descent was harder than the climb because rain had made the trail wet, which is always more challenging.

Unfortunately the weekend was over-shadowed by a climbing death above us. A father and son attempting to summit Little Bear (one of Colorado's 14'ers) were caught in a thunderstorm, and the father fell to his death. Dave was able to reach 911 on his cell fone (not always easy at 12k feet), and took his truck over to the son's campsite to get the kid dry and make him some warm food. Later in the night Flight for Life showed up in a chopper and Search & Rescue arrived in two Jeeps to recover the body Sunday morn. Major bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again for the help on the trip! By the way most of the body work will be done with sawzall [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I need to take a look at my front end, the truck is going down the road straight but the wheel is pointing at 10:00, must have bent the drag link or something, hey Blown any ideas. I know most people hate 4-wheel parts but I arrived there at 9:00 this morning and by 9:30 I was driving out with a free (well $14.00) replacement tire.

Here is a link to the climbing accident that we took care of. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...41/detail.html

dc
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Shilo

Hmm.. the pics aren't coming up for me... maybe the board doesn't like the spaces in the file names?

Pics are also here:
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...=13319#content
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great Pictures, funny captions! I will get my film out tonight hope some turn out. Now all I got to do is source a 33" spare that little 31" spare tire just looks to weird.

dc
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Shilo

Dave, glad to hear 4WPW took care of you. I meant to tell you to have them look at that valve stem while the tire was off 'cause that's the one that aired down very slowly.

Here I go again, but your steering wheel issue is the same thing I experienced everytime I'd run a trail with TTB. I finally stopped trying to center it 'cause it was in a different position after each trail ride.

I don't think it usually has anything to do with bending - - - I just think there is so much inherent slop in the jungle gym of TTB steering linkages, plus the behavior of TTB itself as it moves going down the road..... well, there's just too much available play there.

You can try to re-center yourself, but you'll always be wondering if your toe is still ok 'cause you gotta turn each adjusting sleeve the exact same amount.

Fortunately my wheel has stayed in the same place since the SAS [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They went ahead and put a new valve stem in it. Yes [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]TTB is a PITA but hey what's the fun of things working correctly? I just need to crawl under it to make sure noting is about to fall off, but I think that I am ok, it really holds a straight line on the highway.

dc
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:15 PM

That's a pretty tuff trail! Cool pics! Sorry to hear about the cimbing accident. That is ruff enough terrain to kill without a thunder storm. Dave I dunno about your rig, better check alignment. I too bent my t-case skid a little, came down twice hard on my rock sliders/running boards, and have several little axel hits including my rear trac bar. I don't think you can get off Blanca without some rock rash. Only run I've made that you need 4WD right to your camping spot.
Dave, I will get "bent" TTB before I go solid. I am the "TTB Lover", Ha Ha! Kidding, I'm not sure I want the role of TTB lover. I'd like to get with Shilo to see how his rig works and am really not against a SAS if your doing trails like Blanca and harder. You made it man!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just having a little fun Blown, when you running next? What are your ideas on a "bent" ttb?

dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode