Need help-Ticking noise=power loss - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help-Ticking noise=power loss

Hi all. I'm brand spanking new here so please be patient with me. Here's the deal. I have a stock 302 5spd 1990 Ford Bronco XLT. Recently, I had the rear main seal and oil pan seal replaced. Since then I have had a bad ticking noise (sounds as if it is coming from behind and/or under the dash) on acceleration with a loss of power. I replaced all wires, cap and rotor and plugs hoping this would fix it. The wires were slightly chewed by a mouse or something, the cap and rotor were all burned up (don't know why) and the plugs just needed to be replaced. This helped the problem but it came back shortly after. Now it's really bad and getting worse. I'm not very good with electrical problems (if that is what it is). I discovered that a gas line had come disconnected after the rear main seal work and had to replace the clip to the fuel line, but that wasn't it either. I did do a search before posting but didn't find any resolves. Please help if you can and send me an email.
Thank you, great board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Larnach

Re: Need help-Ticking noise=power loss

Maybe you have an exhaust leak, happened with my truck a while back, welded in a new pipe section to the manifold and viola! Sounded so smooth and had a ton of power back despite only 7 working fuel injectors! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Larnach, thanks for the quick reply. It's not an exhaust leak. I did have problems with the manifold gaskets because the guy I bought the truck from put modified GT Mustang manifolds on there, but that has been solved. This problem, I think, is either electrical or a fuel delivery problem. I still don't understand why my cap and rotor were so burned up. Could a bad coil cause such symptoms? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:49 AM
sbrich

Could the ticking and loss of power be coincidence? I had a ticking sound - it was under the dash but I could not pinpoint it. Thought the ticking could have been suspension or a bearing. Had my mechanic look at it and it was the spedocable. Lubricated the cable and the ticking went away.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:53 AM

pop the hood when it's dark and keep the engine running. If it's another burnt wire grounding out you will be able to see it fast. A burnt wire or an exhaust leak are the only two things I can think of that will make a ticking sound unless your fan is hitting something.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ticking noise is definately related to the loss of power. A guy I talked to said he thought is was some kind of fuel valve and his Ranger did the same thing. I'll look at it tonight in the dark. The symptoms are similar to the engine missing.

Thanks for all the input, please add more.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 11:26 PM

Is the noise from the dash or the engine compartment?Could be a collapsed lifter and a valve not opening.

Bill
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

This is a long shot but possible... the check valve on my crossover tube that feeds air into the back of the heads broke off and allowed hot exhaust to escape, creating a nasal-sounding tick. The hot exhaust melted the vacuum lines that work the EGR, TAB, and TAD systems, which caused them to stop functioning and also created a vac leak. Just a thought, since it did seem to come from right behind the dash and it's almost impossible to see without a mirror and some contortioning [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's not the kind of sound that a valve or lifter makes, it's louder then that. Like two pieces of hard plastic hitting together. The sound is random and not in a pattern. Not like tick, tick, tick, but more like tick.....tick tick tick........tick.....tick....tick tick tick. and each tick goes with a negative surge in power, like it's missing. This only happens when under a load or on acceleration. I cannot recreate the sound when the truck is not moving so I can't see what it is. Sometimes the truck will barely run when I try to accelerate to get on the highway.

Thanks for all your input! I'm sure somebody has experienced this before.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 AM

Check and make sure your fan shroud is secure or anything else that may be flexing back enough to hit the fan. Sounds like it could be the culprit. Also check your motor mounts. When mine were bad I ate a fan shroud before I discovered the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode