PS pump convert - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PS pump convert

I just wanted to thank everyone who's posted about their Saginaw PS pump conversion. I've been lurking on the list for quite a while. I got my conversion done a few weeks ago, works great.

While it was down been doing some other minor upgrades, front tow hooks, air pump fell off, etc.

BYW, where's a good place to buy a Hi-lift jack. My OEM bottle jack is finally junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:54 AM

Re: PS pump convert

Great pump eh ?

What did you do about the pressure hose ?

Sixlitre
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to Pep Boys and asked for a pressure hose for a '88 van. The hard bends in the tubing part of the hose made for some funky routing, I had to put the hose under the new pump. It fit the steering box, though. There's some sort of electrical gizmo that plugs into the line, what's that - some sort of sensor for the PS fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:40 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
some sort of sensor for the PS fluid?

[/ QUOTE ]
ya, jusy leave it unpugged and dont worry about it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Shilo

That's the ps pump pressure switch. Your '90 5.0 should use it? 5.8's never got it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 12:12 PM

When I did the swap, my '91 didn't need the pressure switch either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 PM
beerstash

If you don't care if it says "Hi-Lift," any farm or tractor supply company would have one. Just an option-and they're cheaper.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

I too used the stock pressure hose from the van when i did the swap on my 93. Yes it routes kinda funky along the steering box but it doesn't get near any moving parts so I'm happy [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Zach sent me the hose with the pump and it had the pressure switch also, which is weird because I thought only 4-bangers needed such devices [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FUNNY STORY: I replaced the pressure hose on my old pump several years ago at the same time that I botched my timing cover gasket replacement and had to tow it to the shop so they could fix my err since I was disgusted with the project at that point. Anyway, i noticed when I bought the hose that it had the hole for the pressure switch but it didn't have a plug or instructions in the kit, so I assumed there was a 1-way valve in the big blocky part of the hose so I didn't need a plug... thus I left it open.

Well of course I hadn't fired up the engine yet because coolant leaked out of the timing cover as soon as I poured it into the radiator (yes, that's how bad I botched the cover dowel alignment [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) so the shop was the first to fire the engine when they were done..... You already guessed it, they said when they fired that baby up it was quite a surprise when that port shot PS fluid 50 feet across the shop, splattering the ceiling and one of the walls while coating about 2/3 of my engine compartment [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

The phone call from the shop owner was hilarious, he was still kinda shocked and apparently got quite a kick out of it... he was laughing hysterically after he found out that I had left the plug out and not them... good stuff [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

END OF FUNNY STORY
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 03:20 PM

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode