Off Roading Forums banner

Question how to time a 94 5.0

862 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  WD40 
G
#1 ·
Ok I have hi output coil. The stated timing for my truck is 6 BTDC but it only has marks for stock 10 BTDC any idea on how to set it to 6 BTDC? Is just guessing close enough?

G
#5 ·
Yes there is only a pointer tab and a single mark on the balancer. Factory stock is 10 deg BTDC. To get more power with my mods it should be set to 6 BTDC. Most motors are de tuned to pass emission requirments, 6 is prety standard on pre smog V8 motors. I was just wondering if anyone had a way to find 6 BTDC so I can put a mark there for timing.

#6 ·
Have you "scuffed" the balancer lightly with some sandpaper to see if there are any numbers stamped in it?
More often than not, there should at least be a mark for 0° (Top Dead Center) shown.
If there's not, you'll have to bring #1 piston to TDC (compression stroke) and scribe a mark for 0° (TDC).
At least you can get closer to what you need, since 5° would be 1/2 way between TDC and the mark you have at 10° BTDC.

BTW, what type of "performance mods" are requiring you to retard the timing?

G
#7 ·
Sorry for the delay my computer died last week and I just got it running agin.

I have not seen any other marks for timing, I like the idea of at least finding 0 and 5 as a starting point. My new coil wants to be set at a base line of 6 BTDC, it controls the computer and spark timing from that.

Also was looking to do a sixlite style exhust since my system is about to fall of and after going to 3 shops and being told all they can put on is stock parts becuse of EPA regs. it looks like I'll be doing it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.