Two things.....SCORE and Stock Flex pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Two things.....SCORE and Stock Flex pics

I went out for a little local off roading today and found a rear bumper (steel) and a driver's side door!

So I guess I have a freebee to try making a half door with!
I also found a couple of other things, one being a large...actually gigantic headboard with shelves and cupboards that I'm gonna use in the garage to store junk in! Here's to finding junk in the desert that your wife shakes her head at! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

I'll post some pics of my stock Bronco flexing (don't laugh). Tell me what you think, seriously. Any ideas to get some better perspective on the pics. All of the stuff I climbed was when I was already on a fairly steep incline........should've done some on a flat surface?

Here's a rub

Here's the other side while that side is rubbing (actually not quite rubbing, but almost.

Here's with one wheel on the incline. The incline is about 2 1/2 feet or so.
Here's my 9 year old daughter. I just measured her at 55 inches. This is while I climbed up on a big rock that you can't see and the incline is rather steep anyway, but the angle of the picture doesn't show it......darn.

Here she is next to the Bronco on level ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Two things.....SCORE and Stock Flex pics

My advice is to find a taller ledge, that tire isnt even off the ground! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I kinda like having tires on the ground. Just a personal thing though. It's been my experience that wheels off the ground causes trouble. Although I've never been stuck in my Bronco, or a civilian vehicle for that matter. But we used to get stuff stuck on purpose in the army just to practice getting it out. That was my job, recovery and battlefield maintenance.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about lifts.

I'm wondering if they are worth the extra cost and maintenance? I don't know if I'll really need a lift. Those pics were taken on my property, I didn't take my camera out with me! I'll have to remember to do that next time.

EDIT: So what are some things that can be done to improve flex on a stock vehicle that aren't as involved as a lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Mud in my Veins

the possibilities are endless... swaybar removal, shackle reversal, spring hinges, missing link shackles, 3/4 elliptical springs, longer travel shocks, longer radius arms, coilover shocks, blah blah blah. a lift alone wont net you any more flex, just more room for tires. it's certainly easier to design a flexxy suspension with a lifted vehicle but with some creativity you could do lots of stuff with the stock height.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

OK, one thing at a time....

1. No sway bar removal, this thing has to stay streetable!

2. So, with a suspension lift, your actual ground clearance isn't really improved save for the extra 2" of tire height? If I go from 32's to 35's, I'm really only gonna get 1.5" taller from the tires. That's an extra 1.5" of room for the oil pan, tranny and diffs right?

3. Shackle flip will actually raise the vehicle right?

4. Which would be the best place to start if you were gonna try and make a stock 83 flexible?

5. Should I get the sawzall ready for the tire wells?

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OK, one thing at a time....

I just removed my front sway bar two weeks ago and the Bronco handles just about the same without as with... After I get my lift installed this weekend I am going to put the swaybar back on and make custom connector bars that I can use on the street and take off when I go off road. Once I get them made in a week or so I will post some pictures.

Dave Couch
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:50 PM

gruveb...
"1. No sway bar removal, this thing has to stay streetable!

2. So, with a suspension lift, your actual ground clearance isn't really improved save for the extra 2" of tire height? If I go from 32's to 35's, I'm really only gonna get 1.5" taller from the tires. That's an extra 1.5" of room for the oil pan, tranny and diffs right?

3. Shackle flip will actually raise the vehicle right?

4. Which would be the best place to start if you were gonna try and make a stock 83 flexible?

5. Should I get the sawzall ready for the tire wells?"

1. NO worries, it will be plenty streetable. apx. 5" lift no sways. Actually rides better. I tow as well.

2. NO, ground clearance is increased with a lift, just not the axles. everything that rides on the suspension gets lifted. No, Tires add more to the lift height, but add it from the ground, at roughly (not exactly) 1/2 the difference in the old height vs. new height of the tires. This ground up lift does increase axle height from ground.

3. yes, if done properly.

4. would not do anything to the rear until you either pick up the sawzall and cut the sheetmetal for the tire, or change to a proper sized wheel that will stuff in your wheelwell.

5. see 4 above.

A lift is basically needed because without it, you will find you have the best, flexiest stocker around, yet can't go half the places someone with some clearance can.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

if you're that worried about swaybars you could rig up some pinned disconnects
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Juice.

I'll try removing the sway bars and see how it goes.

Those of you who sawzall the fender wells, do you use fender flares?

Longer travel shocks will let the tires drop further without changing anything else?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 03:13 PM

you need to find shocks that fit. lots of measuring is the key. remove your shocks on the entire front axle and go flex it out. take a compressed measurement from shock moutn to shock mount, and take a extended measusement form shock mount to shock mount. then measure your stock shocks and find out if they are limiting your travel. if they are buy ones that fit and dont limit up or down travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode