D44 and 50TTB inner shaft pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

D44 and 50TTB inner shaft pics

I was curious about Shilo's mention of what another Bronco owner had done in using a D50 inner shaft for added strength. Here are a couple pics and some comments Dustin was happy to share:

"The two things I had to do to get the D50 inner shaft/slipyoke to work was to eliminate the internal c-clip by using a spring in the slip yoke (common front locker trick) and I had to grind down the insides of the yokes to prevent u-joint binding during axle droop. There's plenty of material to grind off so I'm not worried about weakening it any. The actual size of the shafts are the same so there's no real strengh gain there. The strength gain is at the u-joint and yokes, which is what I have been breaking all along. "

"Yup, I have the Kayline top, love it so far.

I haven't broken a front shaft yet, just at the joint/yokes. Keep in mind I have an open front so your ARB may break shafts but not joints, who knows. The d50 uses 1350 joints and I run a 1350 joint at the rear axle pinion so I can share spare joints. I think I've trashed two inner joints and two outer joints. I haven't tried the 760's yet, haven't really got around to it. The D50 shafts are pretty much the same exact length but you can see in the pic there's a little extra material inboard of the retaining c-clip that prevents me from installing the clip. The slip joint takes care of the minor length difference. There is enough room in the axle beam so the size of the D50 yoke doesn't hit. It's fine if you post the pic, no biggie. "

I did check my TTB beams, Dustin says it will fit, though in one spot it looks to be mighty close. I am going to call around to a yard or two and see what the cost of these shafts might be. I guess some F250's may have had the 44TTB's? I am wondering because I went searching on the Zone's site for ujoints for an F250 front axle, and one of the questions was whether the retainers were internal or external. The 1350 joints Dustin mentions are held on externally, while the D44TTB Bronco stock has the internal ring joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: D44 and 50TTB inner shaft pics

It looks like you could grind the end of the shaft and then use a normal clip retainer. It's a good idea, but if those shafts cost much then I would skip them and put that money toward a certain other axle-related fund [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I ran into him on MBB and checked out his website and saved most of the videos from it, so you might check it out [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/

He's got those 39" Michelin radials on there (or did have)... when I get my axle situation figured out I'm going to have to invest in a set of those bad boys [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:47 PM
BoulderBronco7

I had heard about this a year ago or so but never thought about it much. I didn't think it was worth it. But seeing those comparisons I think I am going to do it. I have blown up that joint/yoke twice now. The only question I have is the clearance between the joint/yoke and the TTB beam. As is mine are probably not more than 1/4" apart. Now if we could just figure out how to get D60 u-joints at the wheels we would be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

The clip retainer is a non-issue for me anyway (locked). I don't think I will have an interest in this unless I can score these at the J yard, for say no more than about $20 for ea. piece max. Then I would have to go buy a new joint. That would still make for a good investment, because the slipshaft in there now can still be kept as a working excellent condition backup.

BoulderBronco, my clearance is the same, there is not much room between the yoke and one TTB arm, maybe a 1/4" or so. But, I can see it still fitting, I mean, if you added 1/4" to each side of the yoke, that would mean it would be 1/2" wider. By the pic, there is definitely a lot more material there, and it will be close, but if I can get them for the cost I mention above or less, I am going to try this and will let you know the outcome.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Shilo

'Bout time you listened to me Juice [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for posting the pics as I requested, please keep them handy.

Yes, I currently have an '88 F250 parts truck with D44 TTB HD front end (and NO it won't make for an easy 8 lug swap on 1/2 ton TTB). Still, I see D50 TTB fronts being parted all the time. The biggest bitch is having to pull the carrier to remove that c-clip in a junkyard.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 07:47 PM

Interesting. I wish I had used my 80-81 pumpkin instead of the 86 because the slip joint was alot stronger and it was held in place using a plate and 3 bolts rather than the c clip. I used the valve spring idea and did without the c clip anyway. I'd recomend that to anybody that is thinking about tearing the pumpkin out for the simplicity of trail repairs should you need to change out that slip shaft. I'm curious to see if the D50 slip joint fits though. It sure does look beefy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Listen to you?

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sure I listen to you, unless you start rambling about TTB vs. Solid [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I always give you credit when I direct someone to your site, or find interesting crap there that for some reason you don't share. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Guess you're just too busy thinking up cool crap to bother letting us know about it. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

Now that I'm done having fun...."Still, I see D50 TTB fronts being parted all the time".

If you spot one, and perhaps someone has already "assisted" in the removal, and the slipshaft (both pieces) can be had for cheap, grab it for me, and we'll do the postal. I tried two yards nearby, and as soon as I started getting into Ford 4x4 250 they stopped me, nothing. Going to try web type wrecking yards and see if anyone nearby has something.

And yes, I'm not real keen on going to the yard and having to disassemble the TTB housing to get at the c clip in order to get the shafts. I am looking for what you described, maybe someone has something they just consider junk.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:17 PM

mark, your just lazy. just a day in a junkyard!
ill grab one if i have time and see oen for you tommorow morning when i go pull my dana 60 for my zuk.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 09:55 AM

I'm would like to do this swap too. I had a budy with F150 460 cubes broke his twice! It seams to be the weak point when locked. I think this with the knuckle under steering swap I'm doing will make it much better. I'm gong to post an update this week.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Locked or not, power will do it. Dustin runs the 460, open. Point is though, if I'm going to bust something, I would hope it would be the outer joint (and maybe it doesn't take out the shafts????? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

And, if you wheel it does not really matter whether you're locked and lost the c-clip do to necessity, or open, the "c clip to spring" should be something all might think about. Along the lines of drilling the front axle so you can drain the oil.

Hehehe Burned, yea, but at least I'm CLEAN and LAZY! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode