Welding skid near the gas tank! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Welding skid near the gas tank!

This was a couple of month ago. Recently inspired by Burnedbronco.
I welded my second gas tank skid on over the other with them bolted up. I made sure the tank was full of gas so I would go up in the biggest way possible! Actually so there was less room for fumes/vapor in the tank). I made sure there was no fumes, all hoses were intact. I welded in my driveway with a slight breeze blowing to carry away any fumes and I was welding them together at the top were it bolts up, pretty much away from the tank. I welded a small section at a time and cooled it with the garden hose. Still I had bad thoughts about gas and welding.
The following week I welded 1/8th X 1 1/2 angle down the sides and across the bottom of the gas tank skid. This closer to the tank than I liked. I steadied my hands with another beer, all the while I was having visions/imagery of me missing the skid/angle with the welding wire torching my gas tank and myself in the process.
I got on my creeper rolled under and started welding, My vision grew worse tormenting me, I could imagine the welding wire piercing the tank with a quick arc and burn-through, igniting gas, squirting hell fire on me with the suddeness of the greedy flesh searing molecules expanding out of control from the heat, I roll away trying to smother the flames engulfing my body and making the flesh on my arms drip off in gooey hunks of smoldering goop, the heat builds like a door to hades was left open, Gas spewing under my bronco, me wildly thrashing ans rolling trying to put the flames out, my life flashes before my eyes, a short simple story not long enough or interesting enough to distract me from the pain of my barbequing flesh, I wonder briefly if the mortician will find my underwear clean or not, I am aware again of the door to hades now open wider, gas is boiling, metal is creaking, and Kaboom! The flames reach the fumes boiled-up under high pressure in the gas tank, It explodes sending hot shrapnel, piercing my body and smashing through my skull leaving a lifeless, bloody, blackened, smoking, carcass lying in the driveway, a $500,000 life policy and an estatic wife!

Welding is fun! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] I'm still here, was very careful, and made sure I had the proper angle lest the wire create da fire! I use matress pad material soaked in water to heat shield around where I'm welding and do short sections at a time then cool it with the garden hose. this week I'm gonna weld some 1/8 plate to the sides of the gas tank skid over the angle iron. I wonder, with imagery like above, why has it taken me a few weeks to get back to this project??????
Oh well better dead and smoldering than smashing my tank on the trail, gas leaking, the gas taking-on the evil forces of satan himself, looking for a source of ignition, wanting to torch mother nature herself, finding in an instant a path to a cigar smoking squirrel....... But that's another story.

Can anyone identify with this or am I really blown?
I'm gonna post some pics of my tank skid when I get to it this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:30 PM

Re: Welding near the gas tank!

You have more cahunas than I. I get that feeling just grinding near the tank. Forget welding.

And all this time I thought the name you had was due to a blower on your motor. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I know little of welding, but I really don't think this is a wise idea, those visions you get are trying to tell you the same thing. Next time you get the urge, I suggest you:

put down welder. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

go get beer [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

think this through once more. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

go get tools and unbolt this stuff for safety.

Weld away from gas tank, and live to wheel another day.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

My buds at the muffler shop do this for a living every day! I have the confidence that I am being safe. My post is an attempt at humor and creative writing.
I am done with the gas tank skid, although it may evolve a little more. I'm gonna do the pic thing the only way I know how, attach one per post. This first is of the angle welded on to the skids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1122834-skid1.jpg (96.4 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

This pic shows the side 6 X 1/8 flat welded to the angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1122840-skid2.jpg (94.4 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode