2 not good sounds comin from my bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 not good sounds comin from my bronco

1st sound is a loud clunk when i put it in drive or reverse

2nd sound is a squeaking sound. Its coming from the rear end. It gets faster and faster when i speed up.

Anybody have any idea as to the causes of these noises? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2 not good sounds comin from my bronco

Im not sure about the first one but the second one sounds like a u-joint out of grease. Use a grease gun to shoot some grease into those zerk fittings and see if it quits. You can even take it to a quicklube type place and they may do it for free (they did for me). I just had this problem and fixed it by replacing all 3 u-joints out of the rear drive shaft. While I was in there I also rebuilt the c-v joint in the double cardan joint. Good Luck! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

Rage is on it, both sounds could be from a worn ujoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, ill Check it out in the Mornin! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 10:37 AM

I also have a mysterious squeak,thought it was a leaf spring.But now I'm getting some vibration on the road.Planning on do a rear drive shaft R/R.I've done plenty of standard ujoints and cv's.What's up with the cardan joint.Anybody have any tips or pics I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Bill
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Check out Shilo's Superford page. He had all of the pics for the CV. If you check out my Superford page, I came up with a different Spicer # for the centering ball. Pretty easy to do though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:44 PM

Yea, shilo's site will be helpful here. I was able to get all joints out with the ol hammer n socket routine, actually just did the front axleshafts and the front drivshaft as well. The double C was the toughest part, I went and bought the centering ball kit prior to disassembly, and evidently there is a different part number depending on model year. It was about $33 from NAPA. It turned out my centering setup was in great shape, so I just cleaned and relubed with synthetic. Also, note Shilo's mentioning of zerks if you don't use solids, as they most likely will interfere or be difficult to get to if you install incorrectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode