several brake questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

several brake questions

When I was replacing the rear wheel cylinder the brake fluid was coming out so fast that I had to cap the hard line with a vac cap so that I could run to the store without the MC going dry. Is this normal? Since it was still flowin like a Moen when I came back, I decided I could get away with just cracking the bleeder screw and letting it go. Sure enough after about a minute it came oozing down and I closed off the bleeder screw. Is that enough to get the air out of the cylinder? I ask because now my brakes are acting different than usual... on the first pump of the pedal they feel like always, which means low pedal and the fronts are doing all the work. But when I pump, let off, and quickly pump it again, the rear brakes "catch" and I have amazingly nice brakes! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Does that sound like air in the lines?

Second question: anybody ever used those Russel speed bleeders?

Third question: the one thing I didnt replace (besides the drums) was the parking strut spring, which is more obviously known as the oval spring on that long metal bar that goes between the shoes up top. One was kinda twisted but I used it anyway, and the other snapped in half so I just reassembled without it. They are too soft to really apply any pressure, so what are they for? I have a feeling they are just to keep that bar from rattling when the regular brakes are applied.

Fourth question: Will my truck go faster now that I have red brake shoes, since they were out of the bargain ones and I had to spring for the $29 Raybestos ones with the glossy red paint? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: several brake questions

to answer your 1st question, youll have to get an extra person to help you. Youll need to bleed the brake lines more than likely.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Mud in my Veins

1) That should have bled them sufficiently since pumping them drives the air to the same spot as gravity-bleeding. It sounds like your auto-adjuster isn't working. On the first pump, the rear wheel cylinders extend, but at least one of them doesn't travel far enough to push the shoes into the drum and build pressure in the rears. But on the second pump, there's not enough time for it to fully retract, so it hyperextends and makes contact, giving you rear brakes until you let off the pedal for more than a couple of seconds. In that time, it fully retracts, but the autoadjuster doesn't reset.

The autoadjuster should operate ANYTIME the rear brakes are used; forward, reverse, or even by the e-brake. If the autoadjuster's tiny cable is slack when you pull the drum, it's jammed.

2) Not me.

3) I agree.

4) Absotively, posilutely! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

That makes sense. My drums are right at the wear limit yet my adjusters are only extended about 1/4". I tightened them til the tire started to become hard to turn, but that's not an exact science because it could just be one shoe rubbing while the other is 1/2" away from the drum! I'll go crank the hell out of them til the screwdriver cant take any more, then back off a few and that should do it. It's so easy to adjust with new adjusters too, and they're so shiny that I'd really hate to get them muddy [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I'm sure I'll have them packed with gumbo in no time [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:03 PM

Yea, Steve covered it with lots of "No's"!!!!

Anyway,since you are "Muddy", don't forget to buy the waterproof gunk and apply it in the proper places. This helps with ongoing lube, repelling of water/mud, and what not to keep your drums less rusted and busted.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Shilo

I have a set of the Russell bleeders for my front calipers, have never used or installed them. Helpful, huh?

I really like my pressure bleeder from Motive Products. No need for two people, no more gravity bleeding (and wondering if it really worked) and no more pumping the pedal.

motiveproducts.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Awhile back I considered tapping a spare reservoir cap and building a power bleeder but never came up with a cheap and easy way to keep a steady stream of fluid pressurized. That is just a garden sprayer with the nozzle hacked off and a tapped cap put in its place, which should be cake to build [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

$50 aint bad but hey i'm a cheapazz [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode