Small Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Small Lift

I was wondering if there is anyway to lift my bronco higher than it is now. I currently have 3 inch Body Blocks. I read on this site where Someone took the front Coil springs off of an F-250 or F-350 and it lifted the front of the truck 2 inches. If this is true, I was also wondering if there was any way to lift the rear of the truck besides gettin a suspension lift or doin the Shackle flip. I dont need a whole lot of lift just 1-2 inches. I currently have 35X1250s on it, but i want to Put 36X1450 swampers. Or would i even need to lift the rear at all?? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Re: Small Lift

F250s and F350s use leaf springs. Shilo did a D60 Solid Axle Swap (SAS) with a reverse shackle flip (moving the shackles to the rear of the leaf instead of the front) using leafs. this is by no means an inexpensive project. you can't just put in spacers or lift coils without compensating for the rest of the suspension. It works with a strait axle because it doesn't have any pivot points Like the TTB does. This is why the darned suspension lifts cost so much for our trucks. You can use 1" of spacers under the coilspring for some small amount of lift (check out The Juice's SF site) but there is an alignment bushing that needs to be bought to correct for the additional lift. If you are into this hobby/obsesion like some of us are the SAS is the way to go. Do a search on the topic and I'm sure you will find hours of reading enjoyment. Good luck. NORM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

i've never seen this done, but instead of buying the drop bracket kit could you get a TTB crossmember off a stripped truck and then space it down from the frame with rectangular tubing? it comes in standard sizes so if you want a 3" lift you could get 3" tall tubing etc. the original crossmember could be hacked from the motor mounts down and then it should have lots of oil pan clearance too [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] if you did this right, it should be significantly stronger than those lousy ttb drop brackets and with some custom extended radius arms you could get away from needing those scary looking radarm drop brackets too [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

<font color="red">NOTE</font color>: The above statement is not intended to support the use of Twin Traction Beam suspension. It is merely an attempt to prevent people from throwing money at a suspension they will eventually throw out the window anyway. A solid axle suspension system should be put into place as soon as possible because TTB really bites the big one. Thank you for adhering to this policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 AM

You can put blocks and longer u-bolts on the rear for cheap. Stay away from the aluminum blocks make sure you get cast iron. The axel is mounted under the springs so you push it up with whatever size block you get. If you get into some serious wheeling the block may get spit out and this lift does nothing to increase suspension travel. Keep them u-bolts tight!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 AM

Wait a minite! 14.5 wide you gonna be able to turn that thing? Try them first, your gonna have to cut sheet metal, maybe move the front bumper, and they will rub on the radius arms decreasing your turning radius. They might look cool but will they help you wheel better?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well ive changed my mind and thinkin about 35X15.50s. I know theyll rub, but how bad?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 02:38 PM

I like Muddy's idea. Knowledge and skill will get you further than a pocket full of cash (well, um, almost) I'm hoping he's a mudder like you muddy with big ole fat meats he's intending on using. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode