TTB Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

TTB Steering

Anyone go knuckles under with hiem joint tie rod ends?

Do you all think it's a good idea? I have a six inch spring lift, drop pitman arm, and I think this would straiten out the angle of the tierod and drag link. Of course it would also get them up higher out of the way. I found Spherical tie rod ends for $60ea. at web page . The threads are 3/4 inch fine and the joint bolts through with a 5/8 bolt. My idea is to drill out the knuckle and bolt them on over the steering knuckle. I am not sure if there is enough clearance to the front shock. Nor do I know what the diameter and threads are on the stock tie rod and drag link, anyone know? I suppose I could get made custom adjusting sleeves to accomodate if there is a difference in diameters and thread count (That might make it more expensive and a Superrunner Steering system more practical). Why superrunner when SAS? I'm looking for something less expensive.

Knowbody has done this yet at JBG's or Performance Unlimited. They push Superrunner Steering or SAS. Performance Unlimited wants $89 for each end!

Hiem joints are illegal in some state according to perf. Unlimited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 01:46 PM

Re: TTB Steering

What the stock tie rods measure I think I found one time on Shucks/kragen's website, or NAPA maybe? They are 2 different sizes.

The idea of this again is being driven by the damage you had done to your tie rod off road? Maybe not, as I seem to remember you mentioning that had bent due to small tie rod and big tire??? I just don't really see the advantage to this relative to the costs. Hey, maybe Shilo still has his superrunner steering he would sell to you?????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes I bent my tie rod, now it's beefed but I don't like the angles. Knuckle under would give less angle and less strain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Shilo

So ream the topside of the knuckle and flip the stock tie rods. Have a beer and move on to better projects.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM

Would knuckle over be better? I know guys that have done this with a reamer on there SAS but haven't met anyone to do it on there TTB.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Norm, those rod ends stick out like sore thumbs (I've bent mine twice) and any bit of height raise would help, especially if it could be done free or very cheaply, as Shilo suggests. This also lessens the angle of the linkage, which should reduce wear and help get the steering back to stock (if you're lifted). There is a final advantage for flipping them, which is probably of more use to me than most... water will naturally drain out of the rod end if it's upside down like that [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Shilo I'd have many beers for you and I if it is that simple. Probably is for you, I don't know. What do I buy for a reamer or would it be less expensive to take it to a machine shop? If you ream it from the top it seems the taper would only go halfway through the knuckle and then widen out again. I might need some sort of insert or would it be strong enough? I found inserts at JBG, but don't know if they are the right size. See attachment and description below.

metal sleeve that fit over the 1966-75 bronco tie rod end, to fit into a 1978-79 bronco or f-150 steering knuckle hole. which is larger than a 1966-75 steering knuckle hole.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1119920-CONVERSIONSLEVES.jpg (17.7 KB, 17 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Oops! Norm the knuckle is already over the tierod and drag link. I want to knuckle under or put the tierod and drag link over the knuckle to move it higher and lessen the angles. I'm gonna knuckle under on this one if I can get away with it. Norm-ally I'm a stand-up guy.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Shilo

Sweet! I got upgraded to a TTB hater.

Ok, anyway I only know of guys doing this on SA's as well, but don't see why it would matter. My buddy did it on his old SA 44, he just reamed it with a Snap-On reamer (I can get you the part # if you wish) and flipped the tie rods. He said there was enough meat there that there was no need to fill the bottom taper, but you could with a welder (if you can weld cast; the knuckles are cast, aren't they?)

So, basically, yeah, I think it is that easy. But be worried whenever I start thinking!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Shilo! I could use the part number for the reamer or maybe I can get one from NAPA or something. My only concern is the rod rubbing on the front shocks or mount, but I can check that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode