Help me design my beast...I'm gonna keep it. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Help me design my beast...I\'m gonna keep it.

I have decided to sell off another project instead of the Bronco (long story). With the money earned from my other project I will be upgrading and repairing my Bronco.

There is some work that HAS to be done first, but after that, it's a free-for-all.

I'm gonna get serious about building this thing up now. Here's what I would like to end up with but I don't want to end up doing things over and over again, so I need advise from people who have done this. I've done board searches and read articles and such, but would like some specific advise.

I live in the high desert, the vehicle will have to be road friendly, able to articulate steep loose rocky (almost gravel) inclines, sandy valleys, water crossings and mud.

That is what I'm shooting for.

Which lift, if any?
Keep the TBB or lose it? How does lift effect handling of TBB?
What about lockers?
Axels?
Which tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Shilo

Re: Help me design my beast...I\'m gonna keep it.

"I live in the high desert, the vehicle will have to be road friendly, able to articulate steep loose rocky (almost gravel) inclines, sandy valleys, water crossings and mud"

The "desert" part worries me. If you want high speed pre-runner stuff, keep the TTB. But for what you describe above, there's no question a solid axle will be superior. My SAS hooks up much better on steep, loose climbs, it's just able to have more tire contact, esp if even little moguls are involved. It's also much more stable in any situation - no more dirty shorts!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I just want something that is reliable, safe and fun. I love 4 wheeling, but have done very little in this thing because, well, I'm not very confident in it. I'm getting the kinks worked out of it and it's slowly coming around. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with this thing.

As of right now though, it's mostly been used like a 2 wheel drive pick up truck...going to the dump, going fishing or hauling large stuff from one place to another.

That's all gonna change though.

How does lift effect the TTB?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 05:59 PM

It a very, very bad way! Youll become good friends with the guys at your local alignment shop really quick! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, its not that bad, but it doesnt help it any. Yeah, youll get alot more "flex" out of it, if you want to call it that. Yes, there will be gains, but youll get more droop than you will stuffage. Its a good design for tearing around the desert as Shilo suggested, but not for much else.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 06:11 PM

For all you will spend lifting the D44 IFS, I would go to a solid D44. If I had it to do again that's what I would have done and a shackle flip. It would have been less expensive and a more wheelable. Less expensive assuming you can do the work yourself or with friends. I'm running a 6 inch spring lift with 37 inch tires and am waiting to see if the front D44 ifs holds together. The D44 IFS is great for high speed desert running/racing (not what most of us do).
I don't think you can go wrong with a detroit locker in the rear, but you'll want a selectable locker for the front (ARB's are nice but pricey). Gearing depends upon tire size and what you are going to do with it. There is much info here if, you try the search, on all the questions you ask.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess that's what it boils down to then, what am I building it for. There are lots and lots of desert trails here, but an equal if not slightly more amount of mountain trails.

The levels of difficult run the entire spectrum as well. I break stuff and mess stuff up with the best of them, so I'd do the vast majority of my own work. Only time I use a mech is if it something that I dont' have the equipment to do or if I just don't have time and I need the vehicle soon.

I did do a search and also have read a lot of information on other websites.

I just wanted some specific insight, like I've had so far. I have a little while before I do a lift (a couple of months at least), so I'll do some sleeping on it. In the mean time I'm gonna rebuild the tranny, fix the oil leaks, build an exhaust system and throw on a roll bar.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
In the mean time I'm gonna rebuild the tranny, fix the oil leaks, build an exhaust system and throw on a roll bar.

[/ QUOTE ] Those are all very good places to start. Get the rig up to snuff and then work on the aftermarket/fabricating mods. It's amazing what these things will do stock too. I really haven't been on anything (with one acception) that I hadn't already done in stock form. Stock running 32/11.50s is a great desert setup. Believe me I know. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Biggie_Truck

Glad to hear your keeping your Bronco.

Im literally in the middle of a D60/FF10.25 swap in my 95 Bronco. I removed the TTB and can see why it was recommended to do so by the regs on this site. Actually you'll find that the Dana 44 straght axle is really just a TTB with tubes instead of trac beams. It has the same ring and pinion set up.

That leaves the dana 60 option as the only feasable one. Youll need to search for one dont rush out and spend $1500 for one on ebay. I searched every yard around and picked up a dually for $300. Then grabbed the D50 TTB sitting next to it for $50. The hub and rotors are a perfect match to switch it back to single wheel. In case you run into one.

Dont forget the 10.25 Full-Floating rear. Its an easy drop in and seriously heavy duty to match the D60. Make sure you dont get stuck with the semi-float. The full-float has center hubs protruding from the brake drums that is what you want.

Youll have your choice of leaf-sprung, coil or link suspension. I chose leaf springs for the heavy duty design and stable ride. I didnt like the squirrely feel of my last trucks 4-link coils.

It sounds like your ready to build a bullet proof system. I almost spent $1,500 to lift my TTB and if it wasnt for this site Id be shooting myself now. Check out my Superford site for the latest updates over the next couple of days. I started this past Saturday and the rain has kept my welder inside for now but with a chance for clearing up tomorrow I should be done complete by Sunday!

Good luck what ever you decide!

Oh yeh, what ever you do dont go out and buy 5 lug wheels. Youll need 8 lug for the D60/10.25 set-up.
Superford Bigge_Truck
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like you've got quite the project going! I don't know that mine will be that extensive. I have learned a lesson from past projects. I'll build it for how I use it and not for how I could possibly use it "IF" I had this that and the other thing on there. Build as the need becomes apparent is my new motto!

With that in mind, I don't want to end up spending a several grand on the drive train only to find that it doesn't fit my purpose b/c it's either over kill or just the wrong application.

From the excellent advise I've received so far I have decided that I need to actually look closer at what I am expecting. Before I buy any aftermarket suspension parts I'm gonna get the foundation rock solid, take it out doing things I want to do with it and adjust accordingly.

To all the responses so far:

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Shilo

"Before I buy any aftermarket suspension parts I'm gonna get the foundation rock solid, take it out doing things I want to do with it and adjust accordingly."

Amen. I don't think there's a single aftermarket *suspension* component on my rig with 6" lift and SAS... unless you count poly bushings (I prefer rubber tho) and/or the rear driveshaft (more drivetrain than suspension and all driveshafts are custom when you think about it).

And Biggie Truck keeps forgetting you CAN run 15" wheels if you run steel with 2.5" backspacing for the 60 front.

But for what you want a solid 44 front might be just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode