Let down a little - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Let down a little

I started workin on my F250 this past week even though the weather SUX. In between my two jobs, training for them and the rain i managed to swap my D60 under there. I was looking at the old hubs from what i though was a D50 front cuz my 60 is missing them. I have a D44 w/ leafs. So now i need hubs but that's besides the point. Would the fact that it wasn't a heavy duty F250 like i thought affect the rear axle? IT should have a 10.25 FF but i'm worried it may have a 10.25 semi float. I've never paid enough attention to them to ID the just by lookin under the truck. I could always just pull the wheels off and look but it's raining again. The GVW is 7700 if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Shilo

Re: Let down a little

Soooo........there's wheel covers on it? You can't see a big full floater hub sticking out?

FWIW, I just acquired a parts truck, '88 F250 diesel, it had the D44 HD TTB front and full floater 10.25 rear. I can't believe Ford was dumb enough to put a 44 under the weight of a diesel..... but they were.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

It's got some aluminum wheels with center caps (which i'm not fond of along with the 16.5's). Maybe they only put the 10.25 SF under the the 2wd version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Shilo

The center caps are hella stupid, you can't pull an axleshaft without pulling the wheel. No, they put SF's under 4x4s as well.

1. remove wheel
2. remove center cap, drive over repeatedly until flat as a pancake
3. look for FF hub, you can't miss it LOL
4. if SF, you're hating life, it's a c-clip POS with very few locker choices
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:28 AM

You don't need to get under it to ID any tags. FF and SF, as Shilo mentioned are easy to see just by looking at the tire/hub ends. Anyone got a pic to show a FF? The FF is like a big ol honkin steel hub with bolts around it, and I almost never see these with a blingin' cap over them (actually did not know a cap was made that was big enough to go over these). The bolts on the end are the nice part. take those out and you're ready to pull shafts.

The SF will not have this as the shafts, like the 8.8, are held in place at the other end, inside the pumkin, via c-clip.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Shilo

Dude he knows all this. He's saying there is a center cap over the wheel, and yes, they exist and they make 'em. They're ugly 'cause they stick out sooooo far to accomodate the deep 10.25 hub.

Of course it's entirely possible some is running FF hub caps over a SF rear, so the existence of a deep cap does not necessarily mean anything. The solution is to get rid of them.

I used to give Steve Dunham constant grief about his, I think he finally ditched 'em (they dent real easy on the trail too)

FF hub:
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 AM

it sounds like you have a light duty F250. my daily driver F250 has a 8,600(or 8,800, im to tired to look right now) GVRW
If it has those covers its most likey a semi float axle, as i dont think most would fit around the sterlings full floating hub.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 PM

[img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] OOOOO! Nice 4 link setup! Is there any more pics of that guys rig? Did he build that custom or have it built? Either way. I like it! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Shilo

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...ex.php?vID=634

He doesn't have a whole lot of pics up.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 04:08 PM

Post Hijack Alert!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode