shackle flip questions, spelling what spelling:) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shackle flip questions, spelling what spelling:)

I know from reading old posts that several people have done a "F-250" shackel flip to raise the rear of their Broncos... I am considering the same mod, so my question is after living with the flip for some time is it still working good for everyone? Is there something that you would do different?

Thanks in Advance
Dave Couch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:31 PM

Re: shackel flip questons

Just make sure you reinforce the shackles or buy aftermarket ones. I'm not sure who sells them. Other than that I love it still. When I wheel I rub my rear fenderwells with 33's so it flexes like crazy. Also I don't know who started the F250 thing but I've learned it to be true that any front hanger off of a Fullsize Ford will work for the flip. They are all the same pretty much.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Shilo

Geez Norm, way to pad your post count. You're desperate!

Dave, after several years I'm still happy with my flip.

I'm with Norm, if I were to do it over again, I would also do these things at the same time:

1. reinforce the shackles
2. add a near-full-length leaf to both sides, or just add one to the pass side

I keep trashing (sagging) right rear spring packs. Much of it has to do with engine-induced torque lean, the rest has to do with the spare tire and my tool box being over there. Just this weekend I decided I'm gonna try adding another leaf to just the passenger side. Sounds funky but with all the extra weight and load (torque lean) over there I think it just might work out fine.

3. LMAO at anyone who paid for the Sky Mfg kit [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

4. I'm now building an anti-wrap bar for the rear, this is advisable if you 'wheel it much. Just picked up some steel on my lunch break as a matter of fact

All in all it's the most bang for the buck, the only complaint I really have is slightly reduced departure angle, but I'm perfectly willing to live with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, all is good in the world of shackle flips here [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I havent bent the shackles and I havent been pussyfooting her either, but I guess it's just a matter of time. Norm, did you hit the shackle on something to bend them or what...? The thing you have to watch out for is pinion angle, but that can be fixed with shims or maybe just the factory wedges [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks All! It sounds like I should be able to use ?any? full size Ford shackel? If so can I just torch one off of a F-150?

Not really worried about the spring pack. I am running #2350 F-250 truck springs and they are stiff as hell. Plus I got an even 2" lift out of them.

Thanks!
Dave Couch
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Shilo

You can use any spring hanger that'll take a 3" wide leaf. Norm is partially right, but IME the F150/Bronco hangers are not as long, so plan on maybe 4" lift instead of the 5-6" with F250 hangers. Look closely and I think you'll find 1/2t hangers have a total of 4 rivets while 3/4 and 1t have 6 per hanger.

Dave, I know we've beat this to death before, but I never got the answer I wanted: from what year F250 did your packs come, and how many leafs are in each pack? It's the main leaf that gets WORKED with the flip, so if you don't have a leaf under it which is nearly as long, plan on it fatiguing with time.

Like I've said, most F250 packs from the '80s and '90s were the same as Bronco packs, they just gave 'em a thicker overload at the very bottom (also the shortest leaf). There are several variations, tho

Once you do it, give it a couple weeks to settle, it'll sit high at first as the springs try to maintain their arch
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shilo, not a problem answering the spring questions [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just went out and looked at them and here is a little more info,

I purchased them new from Denver Spring, so as to which F-250 they came out of beats the heck out of me. When I called down there I told them that I was looking for more cargo carrying than the normal #1650 pound springs would handle and they said that I could put these #2350 F-250 springs on. I camp a lot and back then I was hauling a crew of Boy Scouts out once a month and they went a little overboard on gear, cooking equipment and water.

The spring pack has a total of 5 springs in it. The one next to the top is almost full length, it is about 2" from the end of the spring to the C/L of the shackel bolt. Or about 1" from the end of the spring to the start of the radius for the mounting bolt. The very bottom spring is short and very heavy, about 3x the thickness of the other springs. If I get another chance tonight I will measure the springs. Right now I have an entire TTB front end, differental, three sets of front axle's and misc-front end hardware plus a Harbor Freight 12 ton shop press in the Bronco and the rear end is hardly sagging. Tonight I am going to steam clean the hardware and prepare for the installation of the equipment this weekend if the front differental comes in from Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Best Regards
Dave Couch
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Shilo

Yep, sounds like most F250 packs I've seen. Sounds like a Bronco pack with a thicker overload, and still has 5 leaves just like a 1/2t spring pack. I wouldnt' expect them to hold up a whole lot better once you do the flip.

You can mix 'n match junkyard leafs in the future to take care of it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Juggernaut87

What about putting a shackle on the front hangger for some lift? instead of it connecting to the hanger directley, maybee move it down with a shackle... i just thought of this the other day and wondered why no ones ever dont that...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Shilo

It'd be unstable and your rear end would walk all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode