Strange sound revisited, check this out! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Strange sound revisited, check this out!

So I'm driving it home tonight and that weird noise starts happening a little more frequently. Mostly it happens now if you turn, hit a bump, sneeze or think of it.

It was the first time since it's started that I drove the vehicle at night. The lights flicker when it happens! So I'm thinking, battery sliding (nope, I checked), shorting out starter wire or who knows what after that.

Anybody ever had something similar happen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Strange sound revisited, check this out!

i've slept since your original post... what is the sound you speak of?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I thought it was the heat shield rubbing against the frame. It's loud and sounds metallic. The speed of the rattle/rub/noise is consist regardless of speed, so when it happens, it always sounds the same, except for when it is occassionally not as intense, for whatever reason.

I'll take a look around tomorrow and see what I can't find with my new ideas. One thing for sure now, there is something shorting out. Now whether the rub is the cause, the sound is a short or the what the exact details are, I'm totally lost. That's why I'm asking if I someone has had something similar happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:40 AM

If this is bothering you that much, I think you are just going to need to isolate this. Take all the stuff out of the inside of the vehicle that can rattle around, and drive it around for a bit to determine if it is coming from the front or back. You may even need to have someone ride with you. Once you can isolate that, then you can start poking around.

Do you have a stock jack up front mounted inside the hood?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I've isolated it. I no longer think it is the exhaust because of the shorting out of or the drain on the electrical system. Also, I tried to reproduce the sound and couldn't. And since the rub, scrape whatever you call it happens at the same pitch and speed regardless of vehicle speed or RPM, I doubt it is this.

It is coming from the passenger's side of the vehicle, in front of the transmission, sounds like it's right around the tire.

I'm thinking the starter maybe the culprit. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the symptoms:

1. Drain on electrical system
2. Consistent sound regardless of vehicle conditions
3. A grinding, scraping noise
4. Be located somewhere around the passenger's side tire

I looked around down there and found some other potential problems like the main ground cable touching the exhaust manifold and another bare ground wire. I fixed those and it wasn't the problem. The starter looks like it is perfect.

I had replaced the solenoid a while back and also replaced the ignition switch itself. Could the starter somehow be engaging partially while driving? I would think that would cause a much more horrible outcome than what's been happening, but you never know.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Neutral Safety Switch

I put in a floor mounted shifter about a month or so ago. The neutral safety switch was position into park, removed and strapped up and out of the way.

There were some wires that were bald around the connection to the switch itself, but they'd always been that way. I didn't feel like fiddling around with 6 wires in a small and confined area when they never caused any problems. See what that kind of attitude gets you: gray hair!

Anyhow, I cut the two wires for the neutral safety switch, spliced them together and disconnected the rest of it and threw it in the back (in case I need it later).

I also adjusted the ignition switch, but I seriously doubt that was the problem. I went for a little ride and it "the sound" didn't happen again!

As far as I know, there are only the back up lights and the neutral safety switch coming out of the switch itself on an 83 (from what I could glean from the manual), so why would that cause the problem?

EDIT:

I took the top off and we went cruising around for a couple of hours. Drove maybe 50 miles or so and it never happened once, so I'm confident that I've cured it.

Now if I could fix my leaks and my tranny I'd have a decent vehicle on my hands.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Veteran

Re: Neutral Safety Switch

Maybe your alternator is on the way out [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

I don't think so, the alternator seems to be working well. The vehicle starts well and easily. The only time I had symptoms with the lights was when "the noise" would occur!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

MANIA might be onto something... i would yank the alt belt and make sure it spins easily and has no freeplay in the bearings. also make sure your fan isnt hitting something and that its clutch is still intact.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

The problem is gone. I fixed it. It was happening ALL OF THE TIME, literally. It had gradually gotten to the point where if you spoke, heard or thought of a word that had the letter S in it, it would happen.

The wires going into and coming out of the neutral safety switch were shorting out and that was causing something, I don't know what, but something to happen. I taped up the exposed wires and now it hasn't happened since.

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode