Doing a clutch job on a rusty f150 please help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Doing a clutch job on a rusty f150 please help

Here's the deal i have a '90 f150 300 6, 5 speed, 4x4 and the truck is rusty as can be. The clutch is gone and i need to replace it. Zach and i started the job on monday and are having a really hard time. We started pulling the t-case and had to cut off a shifter bolt and got all but 1 of the t-case bolts off which is the hardest one to get to right up by the floor and of course that one decides to round off, also one of the starter bolts is rounded off so that's going to have to be cut off. Do you guys think it would be easier to pull the motor than the trans and t-case? Can we get the trans and t-case out still together and then get that t-case bolt off while it's out of the truck? Anybody have any advice for us? This truck is being a pain the the ass and we havn't even started to get the trans out yet.

Thanks,
BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:46 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Doing a clutch job on a rusty f150 please help

yeah, i'd drop the tcase/tranny together and work on it out of the truck. you might have to grind/sawzall the head off the bolt, remove the tcase, then take a crescent wrench to the remainder of the bolt. hopefully that will not then snap off too cuz drilling out bolts is a beeeoch. good luck [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 12:50 PM

Remeber what i told you, this is your job this time, im just watching and getting out the torch if needed.
I hope you like your new sig line i made for that stupid monday fiasco you had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NO DONT TRY TO PULL THE ENGINE!!! you'll have alot of fun getting it out (back in seems to go alot better) i have the same truck and just did the same thing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I like it, it sucked i left my keys in my tj in my drive way and was at zach's house with the xj parked out front and no keys to get it home, mind you my house is an hour away from zach's.

I was thinking pulling the trans/ t-case would be easier than trying to get that engine out. Will the trans/ t-case combo bolted together clear the front tank? I'm thinking for that stuborn starter bolt that we could probably weld a nut to it to get it off, maybe the same with that t-case bolt if we can get it out with out having to cut the head off. Any other advice getting it out?

BarrelRell
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Pooh-Bah

Will the trans/ t-case combo bolted together clear the front tank?
As long as you start with the truck high enough. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Might take some measurements, and see where you're at.
I will put mine up on 6ton jackstands at all 4 corners. Set around 24" in height.
Take the wheels off too. Gives ya more room.
You don't want to have the tranny/tcase sitting on the jack with not enough room to roll it out.
Especially, if that's your only jack. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 05:54 PM

the cluitch disc is absolutly gone! nothing left.

then check out the melted throwout bearing. something got real hot in there

now the odd thing. Andy blast off the flywheel real quik and as he takes it off the engine the ring gear falls to the ground. I did not pry on it during trans removal, so i know i did not hurt it.
The ring is not cracked or anyway visually damaged.
but, for some reason it slips right onto the flywheel and can acually spin around the outside surface of the flywheel.
So do you guys think the ring gears trashed, the flywheel, or both? somethings not right.
I have a feeling its going to get a new flywheel since the old one is really tore up bad from when the disc desinigrated, and it looks to have been already ground down smooth once, and may not be able to turn grind it down enough to stay within specs due to the severe damage. but if it could be fixed do you guys think he should just put on a new flywheel and gear? Im just wondering if the heat buildup that this trans oviously had only hurt one thing?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Stranger

>>So do you guys think the ring gears trashed, the flywheel, or both? somethings not right.<<

Looks like the clutch got cooked. Perhaps the ring gear is cracked. You might get it NDT tested for cracks, and have the dimensions of the gear and the flywheel checked.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Old Hand

If it were me, i would just make andy spend the money and replace the flywheel, and ring gear. Cuz you know it will be back if ya dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode