Breathing Solution - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Breathing Solution

The discovery of Intake Plates today, Norm's big Intake Adapter Plates Really opens up my choices as far as what to use. There are plates to adapt 302, 351W, and 351C heads to the Clevor setup. So if you know how to wire a fuelie then I need your help. What do you think would be the best stock Fuel Injection setup for my big 393 Windsor Block with Cleveland Heads. I'm thinking that the 5 liter Mustang Intake system is cool but I'm not sure if the computer will flow what I need it too. I'm still new to FI but have been following everyones post on it. Anyway, Your .02 is apreciated. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:21 PM

Re: Breathing Solution

Huh? What?

You're not as lost as I.

This aftermarket stuff hurts my head. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Whatever you do, make sure you do your research. Mixin' and matchin' all this, not an easy task.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 02:40 PM

You mean the plate will let you run a windsor intake on a clevand head right? That would make it easy.You can scab in a late model mass air computer sysytem from a pickup.Preferably the pre super charger lightning model.Or get a 89-93 mustang a9l(5 speed)version.You can get a larger mass air meter and throttle body,injectors.Edelbrock makes a performer intake for the trucks.If you went with a 302 intake there are lots of mustang aftermarket intakes that flow well.You will need a custom chip burned too account for your extra cubes and mods.A wide band 02 dyno tune would'nt hurt either.Don't wana run that beast lean and burn it up!!!You can contact Chris Johnson at JMS chip. He is well respected in the stang community.Check out the corral.net they have a clevor forum for you Dr Frankenstein types.Now if you swap to EFI you will also need to convert to the late model ignition sysytem.You can get a MSD billet TFI dist and run it off their ignition box.You will need the wiring harness off the donor vehicle.The MSD sysytem will plug right in.

CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

BroncoBilly69. You are awsome. I foresee many many engine talks in the future. This kind of stuff get me going (and made me broke once). Thanx for your help. I'm printing your last post out now. The problem isnt going to be making it all work for me. The problem is getting Fuel Injecton Integrated into the mix.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The problem isnt going to be making it all work for me. The problem is getting Fuel Injecton Integrated into the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

.....and the $$$ [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 06:11 PM

Check out this website http://www.fuelairspark.com/ click on the EFI presentation on the top left.It gives a real good description on the different EFI sysytems.They sell different systems you might want to check prices and maybe give em call.With there sysytem you can program fuel and spark curves with a laptop.They also offer a wide band 02.Something else to think about is the fuel delivery system.You will need a high pressure pump set up and the feed and return lines.The ford system uses a fuel pressure regulator to control pressure to the injectors.If you get an adjustable regulator it allows you to increase or decrease fuel trim.I still say the best bet is to find a donor truck or bronco so you can rob the necessary components.It will definetely save you some money.

Bill
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the link. I'd love to stay with stock pieces if I can. (Wrecking yards do for me what Disneyland does for kids). I like to research all the angles first. Would the 351W TPI feed it allright? Would I have to get a custom chip for the computer? Can I do without the EGR system? Because it's already gone on mine because it was allready toast when I bought my truck so I took it out. Thanx for your help buddy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 11:10 PM

Norm

Are those 2bbl heads or 4bbl heads ? The first time I heard about 2bbl heads on a windsor block was @ 15 years ago. The article use a special "Street Boss" intake that was already bigger, so as not to need plates, it just bolted right to the 2bbl Cleveland heads on top of a Windsor block, think they had special headers for that set up too.

Suddenly yards stopped scrapping 2 bbl Cleveland motors. Just in case you were considering a carb set up.

Sixlitre
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

The 2V head is the one I'm looking at. The intake ports on those suckers just about doubles a stock Windsor port. I built one of the street bosses with the intake you describe. Unfortunately the company has gone belly up. I like the plates because the combos are almost limitless in which you could do. I really want to go injected with this. If I went with a carb setup I'd use a 750cfm Qjet. Mine kinda sux that I'm using now in the power dept but the gains on the trail are worth it. The only time I have trouble is on the really steep A$$ stuff and I don't think it's the carbs fault but rather I think it's the manual pump not being able to suck the gas up front at such a steep angle. I increase the rpms to about 1200 and I seem to do allright after that. Even though It might end up being a PITA I'm considering using the stock Ford TPI setup. When I do this project I'm going to strip the whole front end down to the frame and work from there. I think this will make the project more enjoyable. Is Steve83 out there? I need your fuelie advice. Will the 351W injection flow enough for a 393 stroker using high volume heads? Will I need an aftermarket chip ect? I thank everyone here for there help thus far. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode