Off Roading Forums banner

OT: The sum of a vehicle's parts....

993 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  TheJuice 
#1 ·
OT: The sum of a vehicle\'s parts....

Pretty much fit into a 5' X 10' area.
Came across this pic when I was looking for the Mazda Carnage Shot.
It's from several years ago, and 150,000 miles ago when I stripped everything down and rebuilt all the running gear.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: OT: The sum of a vehicle\'s parts....

What you talking about Juice? We all know you are one of "them clean freaks". I know you go out and do the same stuff I do yet the paint is still imaculant. How gross is that!

(Actually I find your guys attention to detail commendable. I always just rush in and get it done. (usually not too fast) I'm thinking that when I have a commuter car I'll be able to spend more time on the details. )

#6 ·

Thanks guys!
It's sad to say though, that's the old shop in Renton.
We didn't land a place here in Helena with a separate shop like that.

Fortunately, the oversize 25' X 25' garage we do have is working just fine.....for now.

Gonz: Welcome to the utlimate site Dr.

I sure miss those MTB tune-up sessions we had in that ole shop.

I see you're sporting a new steed.

Giant NRS1 Air mountain bike

#7 ·

OK, I missed that, Gonz is in Renton.

Hey Gonz, want to attend Broncofest? Tillamook State Forest, this weekend!!!!!! Lots of guys coming down from Renton, Everette, olympia, etc. You can fill me in on all the crazy or stupid things Doug has ever done. Do you have the answer as to why he was nicknamed "Reverend Gripshift"?

Norm, I am a clean freak with the Truck, and when doing work, I make sure not a spec of crap gets in when I am greasing, assembling, etc. But, I have crap scattered everywhere when doing it. I have to have like 1/2 dozen towels around cuz I get grease and goo all over everything. I am slow and methodical. I hate thinking I am almost done with something only to realize I forgot something or did something wrong.

#8 ·

I did that with my grease boot last time on the slip yoke axle. I threw it on the axle knowing I had to slip it into place when I was done and when it was time to slip it on. OOPS
I had put the damned thing on backwards. Instead of pulling everything apart I took a steak knife and cut the boot longways pulled it off and flipped it arround. I applied mucho clear silicone along the cut and zip tied it tight on each end. So far so good. lol I do take alot of chances with used parts as I have alot laying around sometimes. I reused my old passenger side knuckle off of my old front end since the ball joints weren't bad yet. I packed them tight with grease and just reused the whole assy. I can do this one more time on each side since I haven't raided my parts truck knucks or axles yet.
Take Care. NORM

#9 ·

damn id kill for that much room i got a 12x16 shop and cant get in it cuz i got enough stuff for a 20x40 still have the parts i took off last year when i did my lift under the car port cuz there just aint no room

#10 ·

Man, that place is sparkling!

It must be nice to have a house with a garage you can park in, i have to do all my work in the stone driveway

Makes for easy cleanup should i 'lose' a little bit of oil or grease, but id bet theres enough random bolts and screws in the stones to build another truck with

#11 ·

yea Mr TheJuice ... I could tell you a few crazy Doug stories - Like the time we smashed into a Suburu ! Then there's his even crazyer brother Tom. and Jimi, Bob, Bill Ringler ... oy vey what a crew.

The Reverend Gripshift name ... That's from a different sport. You'll have to pry it out of Doug.

Doug ... you listening in ? You should post some pictures of the girly posters you used to have in the Renton shop. Now those were definitely worth drooling on !

Gonz

#12 ·
Re: what\'s in a name

The Reverend Gripshift name ... That's from a different sport. You'll have to pry it out of Doug.
Some day.......

And, just so you know folks, my WD40 handle has absolutely nothing to do with the infamous squeak stopper.

You should post some pictures of the girly posters you used to have in the Renton shop. Now those were definitely worth drooling on!
Hey, I've still got em!

Just don't have any wall space in this shop to display them.

Plus, somehow,
I don't think Janet would appreciate having to look at them every time she gets in her "suuvy" as she's calling it now.

#15 ·
The Story Behind the Name

OK, OK, now that I see my "title" has been changed to better reflect the meaning.

(I still like "The Librarian", coined by TheJuice.
)

WD40 has been around for years.
After all the build-up, it's really nothing special.

Somehow in high school, in the early '70's, we all started calling each other by our first and middle initials.
Mine are DW. (Not to be confused with Darrel Waltrip.
)
Somehow those initials got flipped to WD.
I guess it just rolled off the tongue better.
Well, if you know you're CB history, that's when it really took off (reference the early '70's) with all them "mother truckers".
Of course, all the buds had CB's in their vehicles, and we needed "handles". (The original definition for "handle" btw.
)
So, with me being called "doubaya dee" all the time,
I naturally attenuated to WD40 as my CB handle.

That's stayed with me ever since, and, right up to the point of needing an alias in my first NASCAR forum several years ago.

Whew, ready for Reverend Grip-Shift?

Well, it seems I got quite a few friends involved in Mountain Biking in the early stages of it's popularity boom.
Some had bikes, but had never experienced the true "single track mind".
We started riding around Sea-Tac Airport in some abandoned home sites.
There were a few hundred acres for the taking, and our own personal trails.

Naturally, we needed more time on our steeds, and started riding every Sunday together.
This became the era of The Church of the Knobby Tire, with me generally leading the pack.
Somehow, it turned out beautiful every one of those Sunday rides once we started referring to them as such.
(As you well know, the weather is not the driest in the great northwest.)
So, I was now referred to as The Reverend on those rides.

A couple years go by, and The Reverend decides to go fully suspended with all the latest titanium components.
His new steed comes fully equipped with the latest technology in shifters.
You guessed it, SRAM Grip Shifters.
The Reverend's title is now changed to Reverend Grip-Shift.

So, there ya have it!

It should be noted that, though I have taken the lead in getting friends off the double-track, and onto the single-track,
I have several folks to thank for doing the same with me.
Reference Gonz's post and some of the names he mentioned there.

Hope this was worth the wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.