np435/np208/np203 idea?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

np435/np208/np203 idea?!

The E4OD's antics are getting to me, so I was doing some thinkin (uh oh). I cant afford a ZF and I dont trust the M5OD, so I started looking at the older 4spd sticks. Right now I have 3.55 gears and 35" tires, so it's sluggish, but one thing they do for me is give a huge overdrive on the highway. For a 1:1 stick, that means I'd run 2600 RPM in 4th gear at 75mph, which aint bad at all since I need the revs a little higher than stock to push this beast anyway. As for taking off, the 6.69 ought to be plenty as my effective 1st gear right now on the E4OD with convertor slip is less than 4! Hell, I could even step up to 38's and be better off than I am now! Yes, enter excitement.

If I swapped in a 1 ton rear with 4.10 gears and matching front pig, I could probably even run 40's without having to swap gears, which would be very very sweet. This puts more load on the driveshafts but I'll have to have them changed anyway, so I'll step up to 1350 stuff while I'm under there. Also, since I'm playing with old iron, I figure I might as well stick an np208 under there with a real stick and get rid of my leaky electronic case, though she's been good to me over the last couple years. I know that combo will be significantly shorter than what I have now, maybe even enough to fit a 203 doubler box under there?

Anyway, I mainly want to know what you guys think of this plan, and see if I'm missing something critical. My brother had the sm465 granny in his blazer with 35's and 3.73s and he didnt even bother with the low because he didn't need it, so I figure I'm good to go, even for 38's. This seems almost too good to be true because now I dont have to deal with this damn automatic plus I can avoid the $1200 for changing gears that I'll never actually save up anyway.

Questions:
1) To NP435 guys: what clutch do you advise and what's the deal with 10" vs 11"? Dont I want the biggest I can fit?
2) What should I do with the E4OD and BW1356 when I'm done? I figure I can probably break even by selling that stuff.
3) What is a good price for a 435 or 208 and should I rebuild them before install?
4) What kind of connections does the 208 use for the driveshafts?
5) How hard will it be to put mechanical linkage in a 93 Bronco that (i think) was only available with hydro linkage?

I did try to search some of this but unfortunately Steve83 used to have "np435" in his sig and he used to be Sir PostALot, so the search gets useless pretty fast [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

If you're still reading this post... you are one dedicated ORCer! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Shilo

Re: np435/np208/np203 idea?!

I don't think you want a 208 dude, you want a 203 or a 205. With a 208 you're NO better off than with a 1356.

On the rest of your questions I have no idea, but a doubler (which mates the front part of a 203 to a 205) would be sweet!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:55 PM

I want to do same thing if I could get a np435 or ZF cheap, but stick with my BW1356. Sure you don't want a M-5OD??? Your plan sounds sweet! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well the problem with the M5OD is that it has a really wussy 1st gear ratio, like worse than the one i already have! One of the coolest things about the 435 is that it has such a steep granny that I can get away with my 35's and still have enough oomph to tow if I want to. I would be afraid to tow much as it is, especially with the self-destruct mode on the E4OD [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also, they are cheap (I read a writeup where a guy got one for $90) and they are brutally strong, even available in medium trucks [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] Basically, I want a half-azz solution to big tires without spending the coin on gear swaps since lower gears are weaker and I dont know what axles I'll end up with. If at the same time I can get away from the power robbing, ill shifting, unpredictable E4OD, I'm all over it! The np208 idea was mainly just to save drivetrain length since I think it's considerably shorter than the 1356, but if I'm not doing the doubler, which I probably wont, then I'll just either stick with this tcase and put new seals in it or get a stick shift 1356.

I'm really wondering about the mechanical linkage though... I hope that's not going to require major mods. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 12:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Well the problem with the M5OD is that it has a really wussy 1st gear ratio

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell me about it! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] M5OD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 AM

If you're still reading this post... you are one dedicated ORCer!

[/ QUOTE ] Thanx! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I think you should save up, collect parts, and do it right. Plus if you are going to a manual tranny it will be alot shorter than the autos and you can put that NP 203/205 doubler in there! One piece at a time man and enjoy it while you are at it. Believe me I know what you are trying to do with saving money. Just don't go and do something that you will have to do again later (Hmmm, it seems alot of us do this with our axles. lol). Good luck man!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 AM

To NP435 guys: what clutch do you advise and what's the deal with 10" vs 11"? Dont I want the biggest I can fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised no-one had an answer for that one, I've been curious 'bout it myself. I've got the 10" clutch on my 435 &amp; was surprised to find that out ... but, it's plenty of clutch for typical driving. However - I haven't gotten out to abuse it yet [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I'm replacing it w/ a 'Centerforce II' - supposedly up to 60% stronger than stock (and half the price of Napa's new set). If I'd had the $$ for the 'dual-friction' clutch - I don't think I'd have to be concerned w/ 10" vs 11".
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

i bought a 2wd version for a tranny swap on an early bronco awhile back for $40 at a car show.....the deals are out there....you just got to know where to look
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

The doubler sounds nice, but the problem is that I'd need to buy the 203/1356 adapter, and the only one I've seen is $750! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I dont know if it's really worth it, as that would be more than enough to put a SAS under the beast [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] I think I'll just stick with my t-case (or swap to steve83's stick 1356 if he still has it) that way I can keep the flange ends on the driveshafts and just have their lengths altered. Did you know the 435 has an 8.26 reverse gear? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] That is LOW. When all these crazies in tube buggies decide that going over rocks forward is too easy, I'll be ahead of the game with my awesome reverse rock crawler [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It also has a PTO cover... geee I wonder what I could do with that? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode