what do you think - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what do you think

i was wondering what you think of the superlift six in suspension lift with rear leaf springs for a 89 ford bronco eb also i wanna get a two inch body along with it so i can get 38s under her is this possible and what are some good upgrades to run these tires as far as gearing and engine i am runnig a stock 351 w in her right now is this worth dressing up or should i just go with a bigger engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 03:14 PM

Re: what do you think

This post seems familiar to one not long ago....

I asked the same question there.....What axles are you going to run, cuz your stock ones won't hold up for long? I wouldn't worry about the motor, I would be thinking gearing and bigger axles, Dana 60 front, Ford 10.25 rear. Run like a 4.56, 4.88 or 5.13 gear, and the motor will do ok. Go numerically higher on the gear if you have OD.

Can't really comment on the lift since mine is Rancho, others I think had said it's ok, but the lift they give you is 6" front and what amounts to about 4" rear, maybe they are no longer doing that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

alright now how do they match up are there any modifications that need to be done or do they just bolt on and also the dana is way outta price range any other alternatives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 01:07 PM

Well, others on here can answer the "matchup" question, as they have done this swap. I have not, I just know from expereince that you can never tell when or how much is too much for an axle, but it is a pretty safe bet that if you actually plan to use your truck off-road, 38's and the stock axles will give not too far down the trail.

The rear swap is farily simple from feedback that others have given. The 10.25 full floater is plentiful, pretty cheap, and has some traction choices. It can handle 38's, the drivsehaft matchup will be straighforward...needing to mate your smaller 1/2ton driveshaft to the larger rear end, and if your truck is computer controlled, the later ones have the electrical hookup for speedo.

The front 60 is expensive. Alternatives are the D50TTB (probably not really an alternative, since this will cost, and it does not do much to add strength, not to mention a few other drawbacks), or a Solid D44 reverse rotation. There are other alternatives, but if cost is an issue, and you want strength, the 60 is probably the most looked to answer. The D44 is really the only other one that comes to mind. This is definitely the cheaper way to go. It can be made stronger than the D44TTB through upgraded alloy shafts and stonger ujoints, but even doing this will not make it quite as strong as a stock D60. I plan on going the solid D44 route one day. But, I would not go this route if I were thinking of running 38's. Perhaps 36's or so. I do wheel with someone running a solid 44 and a 400 motor in an older bronco, and 38's. But, money matters to him, and preference would be a 60. Axle ujoints seem to be a constant issue.

IMO, and someone out there running more will always prove me wrong, but if you want to run tires larger than 35's on a Bronco and you would like some margin of reliability/security, D60/10.25 is the only way to go. The reason this is not exact is there are way too many variables:

Driving habits, intended use, motor power, gearing, weight of vehicle, maintenance habits, tire height, tire width, rim size, traction devices, the list goes on....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

alright so what if u just stick with the six inch lift and only run 35s this is really beginning to lookk like the rout i want to go i like the idea of 38s and good stuff like that but i need to look at money and what i am really going to do with it i am mainly a two tracker not a mudder so i dont think i need much bigger then 35s other then looks but i do want reliability what do u think about that and so you know my bronco is an 89 eddy bower 4 inch lift 33s and 351w lockout warn hubs
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 01:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
alright so what if u just stick with the six inch lift and only run 35s this is really beginning to lookk like the rout i want to go

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got it! It's a compromise. To go big you should build big, especially in the axle dept. Building for 35's on a Fullsize Ford is good experience. Especially if you haven't done any suspension modification before. You still will want to gear lower for the 35s though. 4.56's are great here. I'm currently running 33's [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (Should of got the 35s) and 4.56 gears. It doesn't go to fast speedwise on the street but I love the crawl ratio on the trail in comparison to stock. Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 03:04 PM

Depends on your transmission too. Might not have to re-gear. Checkout Muddy's post.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 PM

Honestly, I guess if money is an issue, then I have to ask why, if you already have a 4" lift, do you want to spend money on a 6" lift? Depending on the tire you select, you can run a 35 with a 4" lift. I do with no rub. I wanted a bit more height, and so went the cheap route and added apx. 1" more to my 4" lift (custom block in rear, coil spacers up front), at a cost of $100 bucks or so. You could also opt to keep the 4" and make a custom 1" body lift, or just buy a 2" body lift. This money saved can get you the "real" offroad hardware, gears and traction devices.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:38 PM

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] This is the word according to Mark. Damn good words too! I didn't know you already had 4"! [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] Don't go blowing your money if it has already been spent there. The best upgrades from where you are is Gearing and Lockers, 1 Ton equipment Axles, Drive Shafts, ect, or a D44 solid axle swap. If you have your heart set on 38's then I'd start looking into what it would cost. If I ever do it then I'll go with the D60 up front with an ARB locker and 5.13 gears. For the rear I'd go with the Corporate (GM [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) 14 bolt over Ford's 10.25 for the simple reason of it's cheaper to get a Detroit put in than the 10.25. As Far as strength goes it's a debate and really doesn't matter in the application in which we are talking about. For right now (everyone who knows me knows I can totally change my mind in a matter of minutes) in my own buildup I'm going to look for a leaf sprung D44 solid axle to build up. They came on 75-79 F250's unless I'm mistaken (OK I'm plagerizing [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) I want to do a reverse shackle flip on the front leafs as I'm obtained much flex this way with the rear axle and gained a decent amount of lift to clear a 35" tire. (I hope [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I've got 33's on there now) But Mark has the same lift I do so it should work. I'm ramblin again. I hope some of this helps. At the very least it'll give you some options to consider. My motto is "One piece at a time" [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:45 PM

Wooohooo! Yeehaw! Dave's a grunt of the highest calibre! Sorry man. I just read your bio for the first time. We got alot of prior military here man. What Unit are you in? PM if you want. I was in 1/509 Airborne Infantry down in Ft. Polk and I've been out since 96. Take Care Bruddaaaa! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode