Axle seal; I tried to search it!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Ovalover

Axle seal; I tried to search it!!

In the '85 I've got the tapered 9",new seal, bearing and race. Gasket between the housing and backing plate. It still leaks. In the Haynes manual (sec. 8-17.19) it states "Be carful not to damage the inner lips of the axel seal when reinserting". dang [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Is their suppost to be another seal inside the houseing? If not, what about shims to force the race/bearing closer to the seal on the axle shaft? Endplay might be 1/16" on both sides. Only one side leaks. Vents are clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Axle seal; I tried to search it!!

Gasket between the housing and backing plate.
Gasket? I've done mine a few times, and I don't recall a gasket.
(Not to say there's not supposed to be one there. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

I do know, if you don't get the race fully seated, (or squarely for that matter) in the housing, it will leak.

I've also never noticed any endplay once the axle was installed.
You sure the bearing was pressed on properly?

Wish I could be more help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Ovalover

I had the big "OFFROAD" shop in Dallas press all the new parts back on. Thought they would do it right. (They can't guarantee it since I did the install). Haynes suggest a gasket, but It would be a closer fit without it. I'd really hate to pay $250. extra
[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I've got the tools!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 07:51 PM

Is the bearing all right? Pull the axle and check it out man. I don't think you will be able to figure it out with it on. If the race is marred for some reason (Are they replacable?) then I'd (Keep in mind this is BigNorm backyard builder tech here) try and put a light layer of RTV in the bearing recess and try putting the axle back on. I had my 9" in my mustang leak once and it was a bad bearing. When I fixed the bearing the leak stopped. I hope this helps. If you can take a picture of the problem. Sorry I can't be more help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Mud in my Veins

make sure you've got the right seal, apparently there are several designs that will fit but only one will seal properly...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:36 PM

this is the best i can find for you I have the same problem but it is the least of my worries right now cause I think I spun a rod bearing on my last trip up 4 wheeling pulling my camper so ZI guess the new motor is coming out and now the rods and crank and piston are going to get done...Should have done it right the first time I guess [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode