Spindle....Got you succka! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Spindle....Got you succka!

Ok, 4 pics, here:

spindle and axles/joints

Basically, if the spindle is on good like mine, get that spindle puller!!!

This time around, I timed it. I had the spindle off, and passenger axle (both pieces)pulled in less than 1/2 hour.

Anyway, deciding on whether to replace the needle bearings. Mine are actually in excellent condition, absolutely nothing wrong with them, or the seals. By the way, mine has "manual hub" compenents. The needle bearing is the same as in WD-40's SFK BK1 kit, but the seals are different. The auto hubs for 1995 years actually show this BK1 kit as the proper replacement. In looking at it, mine are a little different. Too bad Too, because mine don't come in a kit. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Have to buy the pieces seperate. So, it costs about $20 more total. As I said though, I am a clean freak, I may just clean up real good and reinstall. Everything looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 08:54 AM

Re: Spindle....Got you succka!

Congratulations! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:03 AM

Plastic mallet or BFH and board 1 min max per side. I wonder why yours were so stuborn Juice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

They fit very tightly, and were rusted in place.

So, I took some emory cloth and rubbed that all down, and when I reinstall, everything will get a thin coat of Permatex Anti-Seize lube.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

Way cool Mark. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
You got the big tub-o-anti-sieze didn't you? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Interesting find on the spindle bearing kit. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Those parts wouldn't work on your's? (cheaper than individual parts)
I know mine never had auto's on it. Hmmmm.

I know. Why don't you put it all back together, then take it apart again to get us some pics!
Just to check the usefullness of the anti-sieze. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

it still is all apart. Putting it back together hopefully later today. I didn't like the shortness of the valvespring that was in the slip shaft, so I went down to Leonard's off-road to see what he's used before (the valve spring cut to 1.25" is ok, but he has another spring that is not as stiff so no poppy out the cappy. Anyway, slip shaft, needle bearings everything is in great shape. Talked with Leonard, he agreed, just regrese with synthetic, put it all back together, no need to do the needle bearings or either seal, on either side. I will be done with the ujoints today and stick it all back in, got broncofest coming up.

On that kit, while at NAPA, their book shows your BK1 kit for the older Broncos, then their was a switch in '95. For that year, the auto hubs run the BK1, the manuals run the stuff I bought, and it does not come in a kit. That makes it expensive. The bearing is the same either way, just the inner/outer seals. I bought both kits to compare, so now I will be returning it all, but marking down the numbers for future reference. I thought about trying to switch mine, it might work, all I saw is that the design of the seals was different. My GUESS is when my switch to manuals was done is when I got these new "manual hub" pieces. I actually don't know because this was back when my truck was under warranty, the dealer did the work (about 4 years ago or so). There was some spindle damage, so I am thinking they did the manuals, the spindle, needle bearings, seals, etc. when the work was done. That was warranted, but since I did not put autos back on (they grenaded on me), that was it for my warranty for those items, as it was not "original" anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode