In Over My Head - Help !! (Gen. Mechanics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

In Over My Head - Help !! (Gen. Mechanics)

Hello Guys ... I've been diddling around, trying not to work too hard on an engine swap. I've finally come to a point where, I'm just not sure what to do next!

My donor truck is a rusty ol' bucket & the exhaust studs were all beyond hope ... I hacked off the studs at the flange - the ones that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold - thinking I'd just drill 'em out. Well, It turns out that's easier said than done!
I drilled my happy a$$ off (stepping up from smaller to larger bits), but for whatever reason (I wasn't using oil for coolant, or I'm just retarded) the 3/8" bit wandered off of the studs on a couple of holes - resulting in slots, not holes! Now I have one good hole, one slot almost through, & another slot about halfway there, leaving one more I've barely touched yet. This thing has turned into an ugly mess, so here's my dilemma ...

Do I keep on like I'm doing, and try to finish this thing like I started it, or should I bite the bullet & pull the manifolds completely? (I wouldn't mind a set of headers, though ya'll had about talked me out of them.) I cranked on one bolt & one stud holding one of the manifolds - the bolt snapped right off (flush w/ the manifold), and the stud started to do the same. Yikes!!

I have no idea what I'm about to get into here - this is new territory for me ... anybody with experience have any words of wisdom ... anybody looking to give away a good 351w, so I can scrap this one??

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] GreaseMonkey-ing [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: In Over My Head - Help !! (Gen. Mechanics)

Oh man. BTDT
Once you start chewing up the holes, you're in for a lot of work.
Drilling oversize and installing heli-coils is about the only fix.

Only thing I can think of at this point is to lube the heck out of the remaining studs/bolts,
and use a little heat on the cylinder head to remove them. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Veteran

believe it or not, Ford uses *case hardened* studs in almost all their manifold to y-pipe mounting flanges (nice and soft in the center, drill bit destroyer on the outer layer), i had to deal with quite a few of them when i worked in the machine shop and NO, i wouldnt touch one AFTER a mechanic drilled it off-center [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

I would suggest getting another pair from the bone yard cuz trust me, their really gonna be a b*&%# to salvage and a machine shop might charge you just as much as replacements to get them out.
Because the outlets are on a angle, its very difficult to drill them centered in the vehicle , still a pain even in a vice...
im surprised your still having problems even with the manifold to head bolts & studs, they (even though always rusty) usually come out w/o too much hassle on 5.0 & 5.8s.

As WD40 said , soak em with penetrant but overnight (not cheap uh.... wd40 though [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], use blaster....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 05:12 PM

HTRN

I feel your pain, been there, broken that several times ! WD-40 and Broncomania have some good suggestions, here's a few more for you.

When I went to Midas to get new studs (which they gave me for free) they suggested just doing the GM or Mopar thing to them. He said they got poor Ford guys, like us, in all the time who'd done the exact same thing. Just drill them right through and then hang bolts down from the holes that will permit it and feed bolts upward into nuts, where the holes blank right into the overhang. If it works for midas, it ought to work for you.

Also, you can go out to the next stud size of 7/16" UNC or even 1/2" UNC and slightly drill out the Y-pipe flange holes without any serious consequence.

Lastly, while working on the one and only Japanese scrap I ever owned, 20 years ago (A Nipponese Dodge Ram 50) I was so paranoid about doing exactly what you did, that I broke down and cracked open my scottish wallet and paid the machine shop to extract the old studs and install new ones. Guess what ? It didn't cost much at all ! and they did a great job ! So if you do get new manifolds from a yard, take em' straight there.

I've had a lotta luck going one size bigger with a tap in my life and installing a bigger stud. It's worked on everything I've ever owned and #@$&ed up, saved my a$$ many times !

Good luck

Sixlitre [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 05:14 PM

ive broken a total of 8 in 351w heads.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 05:18 PM

BurnedBronco

Got me beat, I've only broken off 4(2 twice) in the 302 I have, but then I'm still new to Ford

Sixlitre
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Burned, im sure there are some out there that bad, but on the average of all the heads i have done over the years, those two heads (5.0 & 5.8 ) rarely if ever, came in with a broken bolt in them.

Heads that ALWAYS do:

All FE and 370-460 fords , 3.0 V-6 FORDS AND NISSANS, 3406 & 3408 Cats, 2.2 chevy s-10 heads, i could go on but im sure you get my point.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I don't feel quite so dumb anymore ...

Couple o' related questions - I've been told, by one of my oh-so helpful neighbors, to put some heat to the bolts before breaking them loose, and to heat the broken ones red hot then put vice grips on the 'nub' & they should twist out ... now, I don't usually listen when this guy talks - but this is one subject I know nothing about!

Also, and this one's just for my bruised ego, is the cast iron that I was drilling into less resistant to the drill bit? ... or do I just need practice with the drill?

Thanks again ... I'll let you know how it goes!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Veteran

Put it this way , putting heat to the bolts especially the cyl heads, will make the metal harder once it cools, so if the trick dont work, youre job is gonna be even tougher afterwards with the exception of pipe threads, if you heat them up they usually wind right out.

I would recommend letting a good quality penetrant do its job overnight, if that dont help then a little heat on the bolts immediately followed by melting candle wax on the threads, wait a minute and then try.

Good luck
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

CRC 3-36 & WD40 are workin' on it now ... I'll be doing an indian dance around it in the A.M. before I get started !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode