airshocks,magnaflow muffler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Bocephus

airshocks,magnaflow muffler

anybody use airshocks?I would like to beef up the rear suspension on my bronco without changing the springs.I pull a trailer and need a little extra support but I dont wont to change the ride much.Thought about airsprings but they are a little $$$$.Any opinions on magnaflow mufflers,I am told they are better then flowmaster,have a lower tone,better performance.Are flowmasters loud inside?thanks bo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 10:14 AM

Re: airshocks,magnaflow muffler

I used some air shocks on the rear of my 84. I liked them but they did not last. The air line was snagged once out wheeling and the seals went. If I remember right they lasted a couple of years, then woldn't hold air. Me thinks they are subject to too much dirt off road.
I recently took the longest leafs without eyelets on the ends off of an F150. I cut them to size with my 4 inch grinder with cutting wheel. I was able to cut it just past the center hole, giving me two leafs 24 inches long with holes on each end for the antifriction spacers. Next I drilled the center holes to be able to bolt them to my existing springpack. Drilling spring steel requires a cobalt bit and cutting oil. I also drilled a 1/4 pilot hole first. You have to be careful not to heat it up or you may never get through. I used two grade 8 bolts and ground the head round to bolt the springs together. The round head acts as a pin to fit the axel wedge block. This keeps things together when you u-bolt to the axel. I chose F150 leafs because they are thinner than stock Bronco leafs (5/16 inch). I did not want the ride to get too stiff. This took me three hours and $30, $10 for the springs and $20 for a good bit. I found springs that were loose/seperated from the pack at a u-pull-it junk yard. I chose to cut the springs down to fit on the bottom of my existing 7 - 1/4 inch leaf spring pack. You might be able to pick a leaf that fits in between your existing pack. Take a tape measure to the junkyard. Then you would not have to cut and drill. You would however have to get longer u-bolt type things that hold the pack together towards the end of each spring and still do the center pin. I saw those u-bolt things available at my local A-zone.
This would be a permanent solution, were the air shocks don't last. I'm keeping my Bronc, so I try permanent solutions. I'm happy with the ride. I notice a little more stiffness and about a 1/2 lift. I suppose putting a longer leaf in, would give you more. Sorry for the book, it was a recent successful project.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Injected

You couldn't make me use air shocks, in my opinion they are one of the worst add-ons you can use. They can be extremely dangerous in some situations. The shock mounts are not designed to support the weight of the vehicle, just suspension rebound and compression.
The reason I'm so against them is I lost one of my best friends in our first year of college to a car accident due to air shocks. He had a '76 Ford Elite that he used them on, one of the shock mounts was ripped off the axle in a corner on the highway and threw him topside into a bridge pillar. Killed instantly, and we did check the condition of the mounts before installation.
I still can't figure how I wasn't with him when it happened, we were pretty tight. Obviously my view is tainted, and only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
I've also used airbags on a Ford and was very happy with them, I would go with the airsprings before the airshocks.
I have a Flowmaster BigBlock series two 2.25 inlets and one 3" outlet and am very happy with it. It's not loud in the cab, not like the 40 series Flowmasters. But when you get on it the muffler sounds great, I get alot of looks and thumbs up from other car nuts when they hear the nice tone of the muffler.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 11:51 AM

Wow that sucks about your friend. Good post in sharing, you might have just a saved someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode