Rivit Removal! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Rivit Removal!

I know you could check the link on bucknbronc's latest post yourself but I just got done reading this one and feel it is totally appropriate, Those who are in line to do a suspension lift take note! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Those who have been there will find this hillarious: <font color="blue">Erik's Rivet Removal - Level #101
Method One
Air chisel each rivet head @ 30sec per rivet
Change bit to blunt nose punch @ 60 sec
Punch out rivet body @ 3~5 sec per rivet
Method Two
Center punch rivet @ 2 sec each
Drill each rivet with 1/8 bit @ 90 sec each
Drill rivet with 3/16 bit @ 30 sec each
Drill rivet with 1/4 bit @ 30 sec each
Drill rivet with 5/16 bit @ 30 sec each
Drill rivet with 3/8 bit @ 30 sec each
Drill rivet with final dia bit head should now be off, small dimple in the body of the rivet
Use cold chisel on the three rivet heads you did not center punch in the center, so hole was off center, head is still on @ 5min each rivet
Wash cut, place band aid on finger you mashed when hammer/chisel slipped @ 5 min per cut ( add three hours if stitches were required, add 24 hours if arterial bleeding took place)
Use correct size punch, your new set of gloves and a hammer to punch out the rivet body's @ 5 min each
Allow quivering fore arm to relax, punch out rivets on other side
Method Three
Grind off rivet heads @ 5 min per
Cuss and complain about the ford engineer who invented the frame rivet (Note, this is to be done continually during rivet removal)
Come to that one rivet that can not be reached with the grinder, go get cold chisel, pound for 10 minutes to get that head off
Wash cut, place band aid on finger you mashed when hammer/chisel slipped @ 5 min per cut ( add three hours if stitches were required, add 24 hours if arterial bleeding took place)
Use correct size punch, your new set of gloves and a hammer to punch out the rivet body's @ 5 min each
Allow quivering fore arm to relax, punch out rivets on other side
Argue with wife over why you are yelling at her when she says it's time to come in for dinner (PS, you were not yelling, you just can't hear a damn thing, so you were talking loudly, but you'll never convince her of that, I suggest flowers, a card delivered in a really cute way (in the fridge, or on her car seat, better yet sneak it in to her work place)NOTE: This last step is often common with most any task that requires using A: Air tools, B: A large hammer, C:Grinder
Erik Marquez
http://www.bronco78.com
</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Re: Rivit Removal!

thats fricken hillarious..... got to get some air chisels!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Norm or anyone else, would it be cheaper and easier with Harbor freights 4&amp;1/2" grinder (3 metal cut-off wheels incl.) and just grind the heads off???

I hate grinding things with these cuz even with safety glasses, a piece of abrasive or metal will most certainly find its way into your eyeball somehow doing this underneath the truck [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], but how hard would it be to just grind the heads off with a 4.25 grinder and punch em out?

I bought one of those grinders last week for $18.00 to finish my hitch project and it works great for the price [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Pooh-Bah

One would assume so.
But, according to the above write-up....
Come to that one rivet that can not be reached with the grinder,
go get cold chisel, pound for 10 minutes to get that head off.

Are you replacing the axle pivot brackets, or the rad arm brackets?
I had bolts only, no rivets, in my axle pivot brackets. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Veteran

missed that [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], which one is it anyways, maybe you can tackle it with a borrowed air chisel ahead of time (stick a temporary bolt in it if you need the beast to get to work everyday like me) and it will be out of the way for the weekend lift project [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

boy , im off dreaming again [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

even when you grind the heads off some serious pounding is in order. at least with most of mine. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] What I found worked for me best was to grind the head off, drill through the center of the rivit. then pound it out. It wasn't fun and my thumbnail is just now starting to look normal again. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] If I were to do it again I'd seriously consider some torch work but you have to be carefull melting them out like that. Take Care. NORM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:02 PM

if your good with the torch you can easily just cut the heads off without hurting the bracket.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:03 PM

I've tried a torch. It ruins the hole. Luckily I was cutting spring perches off a junk truck. I cut the backside of the rivet on the frame side and pried the hangers off (they wouldn't punch out). They also wouldn't punch out of the hangers once I got them off. I had to put them in a vice with a socket slightly bigger than the rivet head and use it like a crude u-joint press.

Since he has a 78, the only thing with rivets would be the rear spring hangers for the shackle flip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:01 PM

i kinda used both i made cross cuts in the head with the grindere/cutoff wheel then took the air chisel to it on the one i could not get with the grinder i use my rotozip with grinder/cut off tool attachment on it
then the bfh to pry the brace off
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 11:47 AM

That hard to get rivet on the radius arm brackets was a cake walk with the die grinder and a drum style sanding bit.

You'd think the 7" or 5" grinder would do better, but I swear the course drum paper on the 1" die grinder drum worked even faster.

First thing I did was read all the searched posts on this forum, Norm that has to be the most realistic portrayal yet !!!!!!!

Sixlitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode