I need help with suspension lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need help with suspension lift

hi, i have a 1993 f150 xlt regular cab, short bed. i was wondering if any big name mechanics do suspension lifts (ex: midas, jiffy lube, mieneke....etc u get the point). i was looking of getting a 4" suspension lift then geting new tires and wheels. lemme know where i can get that if u can help. i live in massachusetts, on the new hampshire boarder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Juggernaut87

Re: I need help with suspension lift

Do it yourself... search around here and on superford sites to see people who have taken pictures of each step of the install like this
4in lift on a 1980 bronco should be close enough for u to get the concept
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:20 AM

Les Schwab does lifts but if you want the respect around here I'd do it yourself. That and when something breaks you will be better prepared to do your trail fixes. Nothing is more pathetic than a forlorn looking individual hoping that someone else will fix his vehicle for him on the trail. If you have no mechanical knowledge then start small and start your collection of tools if you don't have one already. Read some of the old posts and you will see what is done to our great machines step by step. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to get you into wheelin'. No one likes a poser. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:42 AM

I don't think Les Schwab is back East though.

If I was paying someone to do this, 'scuse me guys, but, before I explored a shop like Meineke, I would look to the nearest 4Wheelpartwholsalers or maybe a reputable local shop that deals with 4 x 4's. At least that is pretty much all they do. That and install shiney, gimmicky BS.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok so i should just do it myself huh. ya i got the time, seeing the motor isnt even in yet. how hard of a project am i looking at? b/c i dont have a lift, just a jack and a few stands. keep me informed, thanks for ur help. ya id go to a local 4x4 shop to buy it. that part i knew about.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

just a jack and a few stands.
That's a good start. In fact, that's all you'll need in that department for the job.
<font color="blue">Norm</font color> brought up the best suggestion yet, about tools.
That's what you'll need to invest in.
With the money saved by doing it yourself, you can afford the tools. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I'm assuming, since you're ready to tackle this job, you already have most of this, but off hand you'll need:
1) Good torque wrench. (invest in one of the "clicker" type wrenches)
2) Good breaker bar.
3) 6-pt socket set up to 1-1/4". (12 pts will only round off those old rusted on fasteners) [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
4) Box end wrench set up to 1-1/4".
5) 4" hand grinder to get the rivets off the old brackets. (mine were bolted on....no rivets....something for you to check first)
6) BFH. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I know there's more, but at least you're getting the idea now, huh?

Don't forget you'll need an alignment after all this is done.
Do a search for "Ingall's Bushings" or "camber adjustment" so you'll have the bushings on hand when the time comes.
Some kits will come with the camber/caster bushings, but it's doubtable whether you'll get the proper angle for your application.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Pooh-Bah

WD40 Response - Part Deux

Do you have an air compressor?
An air chisel would also be handy for rivet removal.

Interesting reading at this site.

I can't take credit for the link though.
<font color="blue">bucknbronc</font color> linked the main page in another post.
Pretty cool reading there! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 03:46 PM

I installed my 4" susp. lift with the help of a knowledgable friend and learned ALOT about my Bronco. It's always worth it to hit up your friends for help, advice, tools, ect... I usually don't try too much on my truck before checking this board and/or driving it into my buddy's garage (it won't fit in mine anymore).
Also, I'm getting gears/lockers done and neither of us feel comfortable enough to set them up ourselves. So, I'm going to a reputable 4x4 shop locally and having it done. PLUS, they are letting me sit in on the install so I can learn more about my rig. It always pays to do it yourself, or be there when it's done.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 04:51 PM

mine wasnt to bad to do just those [email protected] rivets. i used a grinder,air chisel,bfh,sockets ,wrenches, air rachet the only thing i should have done was replace the bushings when i had them down. they werent bad but since i had it out (ya know ) it took me 3 days but i did it alittle at a time and 95%by myself. if i had wanted to press it i could have gotten it done in a long day
i learned to just take my time i would rather do it right and be slow than to rush and find out i forgot something and as said before with the money i saved i bought some new tools (6ton jacks are sweeeet [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 05:16 PM

If you have the time and patience to learn what is required then putting together a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) the first time is the way to go. I've had my lift on for almost a year now and now I'm thinking about taking it off for the solid D44. If you haven't spent the money on lockers and gears yet then going the route of 1 ton equipment now will save you the cost of doing it twice. I was lucky to have someone give me my first lift kit so I'm not out that much that way. When I started my goal was to get to 35" tires and my setup can handle that now so I guess I've achieved my first goal. I mess with the guys here alot saying I'm thinking about 44" tires all the time just to hear them say that's too big (and they are probably right [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) But I do think that 1 ton equipment and 38's are right in the Zone for our trucks. Take it easy and good luck. You will swear at us alot while grinding off rivits but in the end you will be satisfied knowing that you did it yourself and learned about how your vehicle works in the process. Here I go ramblin again. Nuff said. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode