Off Roading Forums banner

pinging 460

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  broncobilly69 
#1 ·
I need some help on this one. My p/u is a '97 F-350 4wd with the E4OD. Every time I take it out on the freeway the engine pings. I don't mean just on grades, we are talking the entire time.

Now, I have taken some steps to try and eliminate the problem. I have changed the spark plugs, ran super unleaded (91 octane) and I even advanced the timing by a 1/4-1/2 degree (very slight). It still pings and really pisses me off

I run 315/85R16 tires and 4.11 gears if that helps out.

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#5 ·
Okay, I have retarded the timing (too much at first) and now the truck is sluggish and hard to start in the morning. I am almost back to where I started. I haven't run it out on the freeway so I am not sure if it is still pinging. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

#9 ·
Norm, Its a 97! no vacuum advance

If a 97 is still utilizing the TFI-IV ignition, you need to locate and disconnect the SPOUT connector before setting your base ign. timing. Sorry, not sure where the connector is on a 460 EFI.

I would pull the codes and check your fuel system also, maybe its running lean for some reason causing the detonation...

#11 ·
Okay, this is becoming very irritating. I have tried advancing and retarding the timing and I have no trouble codes. The engine pinging won't start until the engine has warmed up a bit. I have new spark plugs in and a new cap and rotor.

I haven't driven it too much lately and still running the same fuel. Right now my only hope is that the fuel sucks. Should I be running super in this engine the whole time?

Thanks

#12 ·
There are way too many items that can be causing your situation for anyone here to give a definitive answer, things that WONT show up on a code scan either.

1: cheap gas or low octane
2: vaccum leak
3: egr system malfunction or other emission system problem
4: wrong spark plugs or gap
5: fuel system running too lean
6: combustion chambers badly carboned up
7: engine running too hot

Hope this helps, good luck...

#14 ·
Pull off the egr valve and piping where it ties into the manifold.If the egr is plugged it won't throw a code but you will not have any flow.The egr flow reduces combustion temp and if it's not working can lead to pinging.Also check it's function,I've seen them not work due to vacuum leaks etc and not throw a code.

Bill

#16 ·
Look here
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%20Lookup/cal_ModelLookup.html
Type in 1997 F350
look under drivability and emissions,Exhaust gas recirculation.They have a picture of the egr.Most of the time the port in the intake where it connects to the manifold will be plugged.I would pull both ends and check it out.

CB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.