rough performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rough performance

My truck has been giving me fits with bad performance, and I sure hope ya'll can help me out. Firstly, I have changed oil, plugs, coil, new wires, EGR valve, TPS, transmission fluid and filter, and checked for vacuum leaks, but the engine is still sluggish after coming up to temp. It runs real good until then, but then it falls flat especially under load...going up grades. I have just about ruled out cat's because it runs too good when it's cold? I have pulled the codes and everything seems okay. Any ideas???? Thanks...

Wayne

'94 EB Bronco
302/5.0 AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:40 AM
fcarruth

Re: rough performance

I would like some info as well. My 89 302 w/AOD seems the same way and I have searched and searched but still can't get mine resolved. This weekend I am planning on replacing the distributor and TFI module as well as plugs and wires. Mine has over 235,000 miles with no modifications other than a K&N filter that I have had for over 10 years. I have done the timing chain and sprockets a few months ago and tested fuel pressure and change the filter about every 5K miles just for preventative measures. I am also looking into the in tank filter since it is the original as well.

Thanks for the help,

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 11:41 AM

Pull your oxygen sensor and clean it or replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:00 PM

On a '94, doubt the O2 sensor is bad. Your engine light would come on, and it throws a code. Fuel Filter been changed recently Seabiskit?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rough performance2

I too doubt that my O2 sensor is bad, because I have removed the connection and the 'check engine' light came on as designed.

No, I have not changed the filter since last August. I have purchased the part, but I need to buy a set of the gas line tools to do the job. The shop changed it out for me in the past while doing other work.

Wayne
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 07:28 AM
fcarruth

Yea, my 02 Sensor is OK also. As far as changing your filter, all I use are a couple of small screwdrivers or better yet, a small pair of needle nose pliers to push the plastic connector up through the main outer line.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM

Shouldn't really even need that if it's getting changed reagularly. Just put the round plastic cheapy tool on one end, slide it up into the coupling, push, and pull on the coupling with other hand, have rag handy, and try not to disconnect it to fast. Let the pressure release, no biggy, and then repeat for other side.

anyway, that is the very first thing I would do and see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode